Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
king144

Rslogix 500 Com Port Driver Issues

3 posts in this topic

Greetings, We've been having problems lately with RSLogix-500 installing it's own driver on our laptop PC com ports. I found that if I edit the drive manger and remove RSLogix-500's ab-xxx driver and reboot, the Windows system will reinstall the default standard driver and our electricians can then go ahead and use TISoft 7.0 again. If we don't do this work around TISoft gives the operator a com port error and they bring me their laptop saying it's broken. I've used this work around several timers now on different laptops and it seems to work. My question is, how can we stop RSlogix-500 from leaving its com port driver installed once a user sessions has been completed... Thanks, Richard Anderson PLC Documentation GP- Camas, WA Mill Email: richard.anderson@gapac.net

What OS are you running? Just a thought, but if you're in NT/XP and Linx is running as a service, it might always be running in the background and claiming use of the COM ports.. Try running it as an application and not a service (can be changed from the RSLinx "Control Panel" program) and see if that helps.

I think you've just solved the mystery! I noticed that the two laptops involved do have NT/2000 installed. They are old IT hand-me-downs. Normally they come to us with the OS's removed and I install Win-98 for use with our DOS based PLC software. Your tip shoud help us in the future as we are phsing over to new HP wireless laptops with XP-PRO installed.. Thanks, -Andy GP- Camas