Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mo_AB_4EVER

RS Emulate 500 and Wonderware Intouch driver ABTCP

4 posts in this topic

I want to know if someone has made a signifiant project using Rockwell Software RS Emulate 500, emulating a SLC5/05, along with Wonderware Intouch using the ABTCP driver. Now please don't tell me "I drawed one windows showing the seconds of the real-time clock and it works", I want to know if it can handle a LOT of tags. Let's say that my goal is to simulate a rather large program in the SLC5/05, and that I want to show data on the Wonderware, around a thousand tags, integers and bits. I also want to put many Wonderwares in network, all polling on the same "simulated" plc. Have some of you already did something like this and confirm to me that it works?

I like to know the answer on this as well. I'm working on a project and this would be nice to do. Thanks Joe

I did something similiar a while back with RSEmulate500 and RSLinx as the DDE driver. The PLC program was about 300 rungs and the Intouch 7.1 app was polling about 500 tags, all running on Windows 2000 Pro. I didn't have any problem or experience any delays. I would suggest getting a fast PC with lots of memory. Also, within Intouch, you can ask to update active tags that are used in the open screens only to reduce the polling quantity, unless all your tags are alarms, scripts, historical, etc. I never tried polling the emulator from a second Intouch node but give it a try. If it start to give you problems, then I would suggest trying to poll the local Intouch node tag database instead.

That sounds good. My main concern would be that the ABTCP driver from wonderware could simply not recognize the emulated CPU. At least there is a plan B, using RSLinx. Did someone tried this setup with the wonderware driver? Thanks Firetubes!