Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ajay

AB controllogix and 1761-NET-ENI connecticity

7 posts in this topic

Hello guys. I want to communicate Controllogix PLC on ethernet using 1761-NET-ENI. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance. Ajay. Edited by ajay

What do you want to communicate with. Another Controllogix, another type of Plc, or a PC. The 1761-Net-Eni is very easy to setup. Just let us know what you are wanting to do. Read/Write from Controllogix, Read/Write to Controllogix, go online, email, etc Also do you already have the 1761-Net-Eni. If so what series is it. The new ones have a few enhancements that make them even easier

As for the basics download the ENI/ENIW Utility from www.ab.com first. I think it is under the Micrologix section. Hook into the 1761-Net-Eni with the same cable you would hook the Controllogix to the 1761-Net-Eni with. Power up the 1761-Net-Eni. It will automatically configure for the communications that you Pc is setup for. Click Load From “ENI”. This will pull the parameters from the module. Set you IP Address, Subnet Mask and Gateway. Unclick the DHCP and BOOTP. Click Save To “ENI ROM”. If you click Save To “ENI RAM” the changes will be discarded on a power cycle. Now you are ready for the basics. Hook the cable to the Controllogix and go to RsLinx. Configure you Ethernet driver and go to RsWho. You should see the ControlLogix. You can drill down through it even going out on other networks just as if you were hooked to its serial port. At this point you can do DDE, go online or any other thing you could normally do while hooked into the serial port. If you have a later series the 1761-Net-Eni can be configured through the Ethernet port. I haven’t used one of these but if you have an earlier series I can show you some code to bounce the configuration of the 1761-Net-Eni through the Ethernet port off of the Controllogix processor using some message instructions. Hope this helps. Let us know what exactly you are trying to do

Hello Guru, I want to communicate my pc with controllogix (1756 L55) on ethernet. However L55 has only one serial port. I have 1761-NET-ENI card (D series). Using 1761-CBL-PM02 cable I have downloaded the IP add. and correspondiong settings into NET-ENI. It shows IP add. when I uploaded it to PC. Next to that I connected PLC to NET-ENI module using the same cable whereas I connected PC and the NET-ENI module through the ehthernet cross cable. But when I open RSLinx and configure AB-Eth driver and see in WhoActive it shows NET-ENI module instead of PLC. So I can't communicate to PLC. What should be the corrective action? Thanks, Ajay.

Go to "My Network Places" and Right click, select properties. Right click on "lan" icon and select properties. Scroll down in list to "Internet protocol(TCP/IP) and select that option. Then click properties in the same window. Click radio button to select IP and subnet mask manually. Then enter your specific info. I believe this will get you going.

Since you don't mention having a red X through the 1761-Net-Eni I'll assume its connected. If you are not sure go to the command prompt and try to ping it Make sure you have the EDS files for RsLinx to connect to the Controllogix. This includes the files for the 1761-Net-Eni. If you do not have the correct series Eds file it will do this. I'm not at work today so let me know if this fixes it. I can't remember if you are suppose to have the Compactlogix Routing checkbox clicked or not

Ok had some time to look at one of our Controllogix setup files. This is for a series b 1761-Net-Eni but I don't believe there would be much difference. Series B options are enabled (I think C or D would work too). You do not enable compactlogix routing. You must leave the 232 Baud Rate on Auto to be able to go online and drill through the controller. Look at that one. I forgot about it and this along with the next thing drove me crazy one time setting this up. If the Plc on a series be converter is set at 38.4 you must set the stop bits to 2. A series C doesn't require this so I would assume the series D doesn't require this.