Sergei Troizky

Simple programming cable for Mitsubishi FX

126 posts in this topic

So, here is a knife to the Beijers back- a simple and inexpensive programming cable for Mitsubishi FX series, to be used instead of SC-09. The cable is successfully used with FX0N, FX1N, FX1S, FX2N. EDIT: According to repeated complains this cable may not work with FX0, FX0S. The connectors on the diagram are 8-pin mini-DIN male on the PLC side and 9-pin sub-D female on the PC side. Take measures in order for the PLC pin 5 (+5V) not to be shorted with any other one in order to prevent the PLC or PC port damage. For AC powered PLC, the requirement to avoid phase conflict by powering PC from the same AC phase remains in power, exactly as for the SC-09 cable. The difference is that in a case of phase conflict at least cable is not damaged now.

Mitsubishi Cable.jpg

Edited by Sergei Troizky

you didn't keep the promise, you were 52 minutes too early

I live in Montreal, Canada and here was after midnight already :-p I always keep my promises. Edited by Sergei Troizky

Attention all users of the described cable. Sometimes, with the FX1N-422-BD port duplicator card installed in FX1N, the cable does not work with one of the ports (more often- with the duplicator card port). MEDOC is indicating "Error in received data", "PLC replies NAK", or simply communicates slow with lots of retries. The cable still works perfectly with another port in such cases. Edited by Sergei Troizky

Has anyone tried this cable? (besides the inventor)\ If it works, A big to Sergei.
1 person likes this

Can it be used with FX1GM as well? what's the program required to use FX1GM?

The part number sounds like a motion controller but I've never heard of this specific one. The FX2N-10GM/20-GM use the SC-09 cable, and my cable should work with them.

The cable may be even simpler- replace the resistor with jumper. Tested.

Sergei are you sure that the cable won't do any damage to the PLC or PC? Because I don't want to blow up my precious PLC :*-( Have other people test this cable already? Did it work? Greetz

Wouter: I have one customer, who tested Sergey's cable with FX1N and it was working fine with 8pin port. It will not work with 25pin port. I don't know about FX0 PLC you have. It should not damage PC or PLC. Just keep in mind that SC09 does not have any opto-isulation, only ESD protection. If you handy, you can make your own SC09 cable as a good school project: it takes only one or 2 ICs and few capacitors. Beijers schematics is widely available and I have 5 or 6 different simplified schematic versions and it depends what chips you can get. Email me, if you need more details. micromet@adelphia.net Alex

Wouter, The cable cannot damage PC or PLC port, assumung no mistakes in wiring. I used it in tens of commercial projects already. For more security leave the resistor in place: a wiring mistake with jumper can damage a port, with resistor- not. With FX0 it may work even without jumper, but not guaranteed. PLC Cables, I do not understand whether you mean PLC or PC 25-pin port. In any case I do not see a reason for the cable not to work (with corrected pin numbers in wiring, of course). I also do not see any reason to clone SC-09 if a pin-to-pin cable makes the job. Edited by Sergei Troizky

Sergei, I mean PLCs with 25 pin port - older style like A-series. They are using handshaking lines RTS/CTS along with RXD/TXD. It is possible to modify your cable to add this lines, but it will not work with 25pin port AS IS. In any case it will not damage PLC or PC. Nobody should copy SC09 desing, it can be simplified to minimum components or minimum cost. But your cable definately works as a cheap programming alternative to SC09. Just for some projects you must stay within RS422/R232 interface specification like min/max voltage, max distance etc. ESD protection also required. Alex
1 person likes this

Hi guys. Can anybody tell me what software is used to program FX2n-10GM with this cable? Medoc possible? thanks

Hey, Sergei Troizky Do you have any knowledge of the old MTA-10 "baby" op station build by Beijers and sold under the Mitsu name??? It uses a similar cable called an SC-06N which is used for download from a win based config program. It like the SC-09 is a 232-422 converter. It has one hooker, 2 pins are also supplying +5vdc & "-" for powering it up. That's no problem. I'm interested in the possiblity of using your cable in the same fashion. I'm worried about just giving it a try and end up damaging PC Port or MTA-10 port. Any info would be appreciated. I have drawing of SC-06N it that would help you to help me! I'm not an electronics person so the chips in the device are kind of way over my head! THANX!

Hi, Lansoc The principle should work with MTA-10/12, but I have never tried. And will not try already. MTA is obsolete and, probably, discontinued product. I have replaced it with Aromat GT-10 small touchscreen in my projects. Sergei

Sergei, I was wondering if you have any cabling ideas for the FX1n for laptops without serial ports. I purchased a USB to serial cable converter but it does not work with the PLC. ANy ideas??? MIKE

In the beginning i had some problems with my usb to serial convertor and the mitsubishi programming software but i solved it with updating my windows XP to service pack 1. So i suggest you do a windows update Greetz

OK, First, I have purchased a serial PCMCIA card per my local MITS rep suggestion. It has not arrived yet. I am running teh latest, most up to date version of XP. I am using a Belkin converter with the SC09 cable to my FX1N PLC. The software being used is GX IEC Developer. I receive a communication error with the PLC even though all transmit settings are correct. I get a quick flask of teh lights on my adapter and then the error. My local REP says that the converters are sometimes problems and that they use the PCMCIA cards. I will let you know how it works out with that card once I get to try it. I have to get it wokred out b4 my next road trip or I will have to bring two laptops with me MIke
1 person likes this

THank you PLC CABLES, I wish I had seen that before I ordered the Card. Mike

Most probably, not all the communication settings are OK. Also, I would test the converter with anything else. A serial mouse is good enough, if you can get one. Or try another brand PLC, with RS232 programming port. SC-09 also should be tested on another PC with a serial port. Edited by Sergei Troizky

UPDATE: Received the new cable from MRPLC and it works great. no cards, no converters (except the one built into the cable). Thanks again, Mike

The cable is working fine on my FX10. Thanks.

I made cable as shown, but it doesn't work. Program Melsec Medox v1.1, FX0 logic. I get communication error. Any hints?` Thanks.

I still didn't get the cable to work :*-( but here's diagram that worked fine with me: PLC / PC db-9 1____3 2____5 3____5 4____2 6____1,4,6 7____5 -short connect PC pins 7 and 8 -connect connectors "grounds?" together Edited by mkarvine