Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest New Guy Here

Compactlogix and Ethernet

5 posts in this topic

Hello! I am trying to establish communication between a compactlogix L35 and a FlexI/O ethernet adapter. Communication is fine at close distance but the install of the FlexI/O is approximately 500' away. I am pretty new to networking. What is the best approach for running Cat6 cable that distance and still maintain communication. Thanks!

You should not have a problem at 500' Use non-metallic conduit. Metallic conduit will attenuate the signal in a run that long. Alternatively you could go fiber. I recommend that you install a switch in the network. A good high quality industrail switch with a redundant power feed. The purpose of the switch is to give you an ethernet programming port. The compactlogix multicasts, so use a switch instead of a hub - otherwise network performance will suffer. The switch does not have to be halfway down the line, you can place it near the PLC or convenient for programming access. I use these switches: http://www.n-tron.com They also have switches that handle both copper and fiber optic and the conversion between media. Edited by Alaric

I don't claim for one minute to be an expert on ethernet, but isn't the guideline 100m (approx. 300') maximum for UTP?

100 meters(328 ft) is the safe limit on copper. We do have one line running around 425 feet according to the ethernet tester. We have never had a problem with it but I wouldn't recommend it. Definitely use a shielded cable. Though many still argue about it, most people say you can enclose the shielded wire in metallic conduit and it will not attenuate the signal. We use a belden cable. I can't remember the part number but I can post it monday. And use an industial switch. The Ntrons are very good

My understanding of Ethernet cabling has always been that about 300 feet is the absolute maximum for any solid-wire twisted pair cable at any speed. I'd select a spot in the middle of your cable run to put a small switch, or to run fiber optics. You can run ordinary 62.5/125 multimode fiber well over a mile with typical transcievers.