Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Linne

Communications

6 posts in this topic

I'm instaling my first Control Logix processor, and using RSLogix 5000 software. I need to exchange data between this new processor (DH+ 52) with PLC-5's also on DH+ (address 36, for example). I'm also using ethernet (CLX=10.10.28.52 and the target PLC-5 is 10.10.28.36). I'm unable to configure a MSG instruction in the CLX processor to grab some data from a PLC-5. Has anyone done this successfully? Can you point me to the reference material that includes configuration info for the MSG instruction in the Logix processor? Thanks! Bill

On the config tab, select PLC-5 word range read (or write), enter the PLC-5 data table address & length and the CLX array tag (INT type) with index. On the communication tab, enter the pathe to the PLC-5. For ethernet the path is backplane, ENBT slot, ENBT port, IP address of PLC-5 If the ENBT is in slot 5: enter 1,5,2,10.10.28.36 And select the CIP radio button. DH+ is similar - path is backplane, DHRIO slot e.g. 1,5 Select DH+ radio button Select Channel A or B Enter octal address of PLC-5 (36) Enter 0 for source and destination link.

You da Man, Gerry! Why aren't Rockwell's instructions that clear? I spent nearly all day yesterday trying to make that MSG block work, and your brief explanation worked first time. Thank you very much! Bill

If the instructions were clear, they'd never be able to sell training

Glad to be of help. Rockwell (and probably all big manufacturers) employ "technical writers" to produce their manuals. While they are good at the writing part, they don't necessarily fully understand what they are writing about - often working from scribbled notes from the design engineers. It's one of those thankless jobs.

My brother is a technical writer. The one thing I like about the company he works for is that he must make all instructions the engineers scribble down work on his own before he writes the instruction manual. And you would be shocked the things that are missed in the instructions he finds.