Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oboy

LM90 Comms

7 posts in this topic

I am new to GE PLC's. I'm trying to communicate with a GE 90/70 PLC using the old LM90 software. The customer let me borrow a training rack and I loaded the software on my notebook. I copied the serial communication parameters that they are using on other machines to my program and made sure the comm port settings on the computer match. When I try to go online I get a message of No Communication. Next, I made sure that the customer PC would go online with the processor using my serial cable and it worked. It appears to me I have a configuration problem on my notebook. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Dale

When you install Logicmaster, the default port parameters are the same as the default settings for Series 90 PLCs. Most users don't change from the default settings. What operating system are you running on the computer that won't communicate? What COM port are you trying to use? What revision level of LM90? Is there anything else running on the computer that might be using the COM port that Logicmaster is set up to use? When Logicmaster loads, do you get any kind of message indicate that the communications driver failed to load? You may have to watch carefully. The message doesn't always stay displayed for long.

What operating system are you running on the computer that won't communicate? XP What COM port are you trying to use? Com1 What revision level of LM90? 7.02 Is there anything else running on the computer that might be using the COM port that Logicmaster is set up to use? I'm running RSLinks, but I disabled the serial driver. You may have something here, I will close RSLinks and try again When Logicmaster loads, do you get any kind of message indicate that the communications driver failed to load? I had a problem earlier with a different version telling me I had a missing .dll file.....something like snpwnt.dll, I can't remember the whole thing. You may have to watch carefully. The message doesn't always stay displayed for long. Thanks so much for your help.

Still having problems. I shut down RSLinx and still do not have communications. I loaded the software on my desktop and tried it. I don't see any communication driver error messages at start up either.

Are you running XP on the other computers that are successfully communicating? If so, is it the home or the professional version? Was LM90 installed from the same disks (or CD) on those machines as on the computer that won't communicate? On the computer that won't communicate, is LM90 set up for serial communications? Is it set up to load the serial communications driver to any specific memeory or did you select 'Auto'? To check, from the very first menu screen that comes up when you start LM90, hit F9 (setup) then F4 (PLC Communication Options). When you launch LM90 programming or LM90 configuration, and it comes up offline, you select a program folder. Once you've done that, hit F7 (setup), then F4 (comset). What COM port is LM90 using? At the bottom of the screen, does it say anything about where the serial port driver was installed? Remember that if you change any of the port settings that they don't take effect until you hit F6 and they aren't saved until you hit F7.

Thanks Steve, I will try that . Appreciate the help

Finally got it working. I reloaded the software and have comms now. Thanks for your assistance.