Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

RS View Studio ME Installer...huh?

14 posts in this topic

Just got around to installing RSVIEW ME for the first time. I need to work on a project that I am going to install a RSVIEW ME runtime on a PC with Cognex's new Control Tool OCX... Anyway....I heard horror stories about this software from others...Mostly how RS Linx Enterprise tries to take over your PC com ports and installs and runs services that won't allow anything else to run. This is really sad that Rockwell thinks that people like me don't use any other type of software. Anyway...here is something that is ANNOYING as crap... I organize my Windows Start Bar. I put all my install Automation Software in a Folder in my Start Bar called "QSI Software". You can see that I have software ranging from Automation Direct, GE, and Of course Rockewell Software. After installing RS VIEW ME version 3.1.00. I moved the folders that it created from the root Start Menu to my "organize folder" called QSI Software. When I tried to start RS Studio the first time, it's in DEMO mode still...but I get this pop up. "Please wait while Windows configures RSView Machine Edition". What it did was re-created the folder at the root of mt start menu again. So I moved it back to my location "QSI Software". The configuration restarted my computer. Once again I tried to launch RS Studio from My Start Menu>QSI Software>Rockwell Software>RS Studio. Once again the pop up for the "configuring Machine Edition" appears. It re-created the folders in my start menu again...I see that I am not going to win here...So I left the Rockwell Folder at the root of my Start Menu, even though that is not where I want it. Now RS Studio is happy. It loaded without doing another configuration upon start. If you delete or move the Folder from your root start menu, next time you start RS Studio it re-creates and tells you to re-start...nice piece of work guys (Rockwell Software). What's the purpose of forcing me to always have your FOLDER at the root of my start menu? I see there is a 3.2.00 update in the support site...maybe I'll try to download that and see if this problem goes away...

Don't bother with the 3.2 update...This update only load a patch that takes care of the PC hanging when you create a runtime file from Studio to ME....

It doesn't do that to me. Did you create this folder under "all users" or just for your own user ID ? What OS are you running ? I am running RSView Studio 4.0 and it's a LOT more stable than the previous releases. I only want to scream at RSI once or twice a week these days, rather than every time I try to start the software.

I installed it under the All Users. You'll notice that I left Rockwell at the "root" along with the RS Studio Icon at the root too. It seems to be happy there now. I am running Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 1. I never upgraded to Service Pack 2, because of some problems with Service Pack 2 and my GE Fanuc software. I am attempting to download RS View ME 4.0 (9701VWSTMENE) from the website now, but slowly and painfully, mostly unsuccessful today... Maybe they fixed this in version 4.0.00. Hope so, seems silly to do this to a user.

I think that RA's download servers have been slammed for the past week or so by users clamoring for RSView Studio 4.0. It took all night for my copy to download. Some of that pressure should ease as they get CD's into production this week. Maybe next time a private BitTorrent tracker ?

I thought DL problem fixed last week. Over weekend I downloaded RSlinx 2.50 350MB file from public site in less than 10 minutes. Looks like problem is back...

I wouldn't might hosting or "mirroring" a file (updates) if it was LEGAL to do, and Rockwell Software was ok with it. Anything to help out myself and fellow mrplc.com members.

Rockwell Download checks for Serial Number and Last Name - I don't think you can mirror it ...

9701VWSTMENE 170MB download ver 4 coming from AB site at 100KB/sec right now. Not very fast, but OK.

Oh yeah, your right. I keep forgetting that AB does "validate" your subscription. Duh...that's the whole point in paying for AB Software updates... LOL... Sorry I just had a brain fart...a big one....

I am happy to report that I upgraded to RS Studio 4.0 and this problem no longer exists. Thank you!

I'm all for you "mirroring" the software too, but if you are waiting for an explicit approval from RSI, don't hold your breath..

It seems to me that the RSI web download validator could just as easily allow you to download a BitTorrent file instead of the whole fileset for the product. Then, during large volume download periods like this release, the large number of users would actually be a benefit. I have downloaded 350 megabyte files in 20 minutes using BitTorrents with a couple of hundred seeders. Now, it would be easier for you to copy/send/share this BitTorrent file than it would be to copy/send/share the entire fileset, true. But, really, so what ? Especially with the new activation scheme coming out, which will defeat activation-thieves. The fileset is useless without an activation, so only users looking for a "free update" will be able to take advantage (if, that is, somebody will send them the torrent file, and there are no other validation mechanisms on the Tracker). Many users are probably downloading onto corporate computers, and I'll bet that alarm bells would go off inside the firewall if I tried to run a BitTorrent session. Hmm.... an interesting topic. I wonder if it will come up at the next RSTechEd.

Since you brought that up, just curious.. Do you suppose RSI is getting close to changing the activation system? I've been hearing for many years that this was going to happen.