Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ken Moore

Control Logix transition

4 posts in this topic

I have a project coming up that requires using a CLX plc. Just wondering how steep a learning curve there is transitioning to the CLX platform? I've done a lot of Foxboro DCS programming, so function blocks, timed events, and structured text are not a new concept for me. Can a "skilled" person make the jump without formal training? I just can't spare the time at the moment, and I'm hoping to skip the training for now. BTW, the upcoming project is pretty simple, the only reason we're using a CLX is because of the need for a SIL-2 rated PLC. thanks, Ken

I went to a 2-hour seminar and with my SLC 500 experience, I think I got what it would take to start programming. Are you required (or prefer) to use function blocks or structured text? I'm in Detroit so those concepts were glossed over in favor of ladder programming. Aside from a few key concepts ("free-form" address names, time-driven logic routines, etc.) I found it very much like programming a SLC in RSLogix 500. Of course, I think that is their intent :) If you don't have experience with RSLogix 5 or 500, it'll take a bit longer to figure out where everything is. Overall though, I think anyone with a good controls background would have a pretty easy time with a CLX. In fact, someone that hadn't formed their habits around a PLC-5 or SLC might have an easier time of it!

If you are familiar with Allen bradley slc500 or plc5 programming, you shouldnt have any trouble what so ever, maybe sit with the software for a day or 2 and you should be able to figure everything out. All the programmers in our company dont have any formal training on the clx, we all made the transition fine.

I have a lot of experience with the PLC-5 and SLC/Micrologix platforms, I assumed the move to CLX would not be that big a transition. Just wanted to get a second opinion, before I started something I might not be able to finish. Thanks for all the positive replies. Ken