Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kothy

PLC5 with Flex I/Os

6 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have been trying to configure PLC5 on controlnet to use with Flex I/O but wasnt successful. Wonder if they are compatible at all. PLC5 finds all the FlexI/O modules through RsNetworx. But the RSNetworx file thats created is not seen in RSLogix5. The Flex I/Os are tied to 1794-ACNR/15 module. Am I missing any hardware? need help asap. thanx

FLEX I/O is probably the most popular I/O platform for use with the PLC-5C15 controller via ControlNet, so YES they are most definitely compatible. When you create a scanlist using RSNetworx for ControlNet and perform a "save to network" function, the I/O connections are loaded into the PLC-5. You need to inform RSLogix5 about the RSNetworx *.XC file in order for the rack descriptions and connection information to also show up in the RSLogix 5 I/O configuration. These entries are strictly for informational purposes; the real I/O connection information is created in and configured by RSNetworx for ControlNet. RSNetworx for ControlNet does come with a tutorial, as well as online help. You should also get a PLC-5C15 User Manual, which includes much useful data about I/O mapping files and Status files for ControlNet I/O.

I hope you had better luck with Flex I/O on ControlNet than we did using them on DeviceNet. The manuals read like badly translated stereo instructions. There are errors in the manuals that the tech support people were unaware of. They are difficult to configure. If you want to configure them from Devicenet, you have to take them out of the scanlist. This requires the processor to be in the Program Mode (try to do that in a 24/7/365 plant). Then you can change the configuration (no guarantee it will reconfigure). Then you have to put them back in the scanlist. If you left the Automap checkbox set, it will do really bad things to you mapping that was left in the scanlist. After you fixed the mapping fiasco, you look at the mapped data and it is gibberish. Analog inputs that should have a maximum value of 61681 at a value of 20 mA are displaying 65535 with no signal applied. Back to square one. Set up the logic for "on the fly" configuration. Spend days typing in all of the descriptions into the database. You can label them in the DeviceNet file but there is no way to export any of that information and get it into RsLogix5000. All you can get is a bunch of information in an HTML report that really doesn't have anything to do with what you are trying to accomplish. After every stupid bit is labeled and set to the proper value that is shown in the manual, you fire it up again and get the same results. Called tech support and they suggested that we tear apart all of the DeviceNet modules and begin substituing them in one at a time until we find the problem. Getting past the part that the plant is running and will react rather badly if we just pull out a bunch of I/O while it is running, I asked them who was going to pay for this Easter Egg Hunt if we didn't find the problem. The phone was silent. Not the answer I was looking for. We are still having problems with some of the modules. They are all configured EXACTLY ALIKE. Some work. Some don't. We are at an impass and I am not sure what we will do to remedy situation. What I do know is that we will NEVER use this wannabe, not ready for prime time, sorry excuse for I/O until they get it right.

kothy, here is link to FlexIO on AB website. when planing space in remote enclosures, keep in mind that modules connected after 1794-CE_ cable are mapped backwards (right to left) according to "distance" from communication adapter.

Once you understand that the 1794-ADN won't change it's I/O connection size while the connection is is the established state (that's why you often see the 0x0C "Object State Conflict" error), and that it requires a reboot to re-scan its backplane, all the "bizarre" behavior you described makes perfect sense, and can be easily worked with. I find FLEX on DeviceNet to be a lot harder to work with than on EtherNet/IP or ControlNet or even RIO, partially because the mapping is complex and partially because of the reboots and scanlist deletions that it requires. I usually use the scanlist active/inactive selection, and send a Reset service to the ADN instead of rebooting it manually. On ControlNet or EtherNet/IP, FLEX I/O is a lot easier because the 1794 modules become I/O tree entries in Logix 5000. I know there's a development effort underway to do the same thing with DeviceNet and Logix 5000, but it will come after the architecture that will let you add I/O modules to the "Available Modules" between builds of the software, and will likely be linked to the ability to add items to the scanlist during runtime.

kothy, go get the PLC-5C15 ControlNet PLC-5 User Manual, and it will describe how to use FLEX with the PLC-5. You can download this manual from Rockwell, or or buy a hardcopy from your distributor. Quick Start: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...qs006_-en-p.pdf User Manual: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...um022_-en-p.pdf