Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Guest_BILL

Datapanel in 90-70

9 posts in this topic

Hello, I have the 90-70 series plc and want to install the datapanel in pcm 711. The problem is this: How does the pcm711 recognize the datapanel? I searched the plc's software (cimplicity machine edition) and couldn't find any way.

If you're using the PCM711 simply to give you two additional serial ports on your PLC, then just configure one of the ports as an SNP slave and set up the Datapanel for the same protocol and port settings. The Datapanel will control all communications and you won't need any ladder logic to support it. Be careful though. The PCM711 is a BASIC language module. If it is running a program that requires the use of the serial ports, your addition of the Datapanel might disrupt the operation. One potential problem that I can think of: The Datapanel probably uses SNPX protocol. You may need to be at a particular revision level of the PCM711 firmware for it to be able to handle SNPX. I suggest you spend some time at the GE Fanuc website and download the datasheets and release notes for the PCM711 to be sure. SNPX is a stripped-down version of the SNP protocol. Earlier versions of the PCM711 did not include SNPX support.

My problem is: How will i "see" the datapanel from the cimplicity? When i click to pcm711 module i can only change its configuration, i have no idea how to get control of the datapanel.

There is only a limited amount of control that the PLC can have over the Datapanel. Normally the Datapanel is the master of communications. It tells the PLC when and how often to report the data it requires. It writes data to the PLC when it needs to. About all you can do on the PLC side is to command the Datapanel to display a different screen. But to do that, you have to set a 'page change' register in the Datapanel. Once that's done, when your PLC program puts a page number into the page change register, the Datapanel displays that page. The jump is triggered by a change in the value in the page change register. That's the way it generally works in HMIs that support page change registers. It has been quite a while sinc I worked with a Datapanel, but I'm pretty sure that they follow that model. Edit: I just took a quick look at the old WINCFG software for the Datapanel and it looks like they don't support page changes driven by the PLC. When you ask how to "get control of the Datapanel", are you asking about how to create and edit the screens on the Datapanel. If that is your question, you need to purchase Data Designer software, part number IC752DDZ000. It supports Datapanel models 30, 50, 150, 160, and 240. For older Datapanels, you need Wincfg software, IC752WNC000. Edited by Steve Bailey

Sorry, I guess i didn't make myself clear. Let's take the things from te beginning: 1. I got a datapanel. 2. I used the cable to connect it to the pcm711 module 3. Here is the point: How am i sure that the cpu regognizes it? What kind of configuration should i use? Thanks

...new addition to previous topic Moreover, I started having some thoughts about the connection cable i use to connect the datapanel to the plc module. I want to use rs-485 type cable, 25pin and can't find it in the "Communication Cables for DP150" list in datapanel's manual. Do you know the catalog No of the cable i need?

Sorry, I got a little cofused between the PCM711 module and the CMM711 module. The only 'native' protocol available on the PCM711 is CCM. Configure the PCM711 module in one of the modes that includes CCM (CCM Only, BASIC/CCM, etc). If you want to use any other protocol you will need to write your own driver for it in MegaBasic. You could check the GE Fanuc website to see if there are any MegaBasic SNPX slaves or RTU (Modbus) slaves available for download. If you use CCM protocol, be aware that you can only access %R, %I, and %Q addresses directly. RS485 cabling looks to be: Pin 10 on the Datapanel to pin 13 on the PCM711 Pin 11 on the Datapanel to pin 25 on the PCM711 The above should be one twisted pair. Pin 12 on the Datapanel to pin 9 on the PCM711 Pin 13 on the Datapanel to pin 21 on the PCM711 The above should be another twisted pair. Be sure that when you configure the PCM711 you selct RS485 communications. The default selection is RS232.

Does pcm711 supports modbus? If yes, how i set its 2nd port to communicate with the datapanel using modbus? I tried to download the modbus driver from the ge-fanuc site but i didn't find exactly what i want.

The PCM711 is not the best choice of communications module for connection to a Datapanel. The CMM711 module would be a better chioce. The only 'built-in' protocol on the PCM711 is CCM. If you want Modbus RTU you will either have to write a Megabasic program to do it or find a freeware implementation that will run on the PCM. I don't know whether or not GE Fanuc offers a Modbus slave in Megabasic. I simply suggested that you browse around their website to see if one exists. My suggestion to you is to forget about trying to use the PCM711 with the Datapanel. Try to exchange the PCM711 for a CMM711. You will get communications established much more quickly. If you can't exchange the PCM711 for a CMM711, then set up the Datapanel to use the CCM protocol.