Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Winall

K3SC connection problem

10 posts in this topic

Hi I'm using K3Sc for connection of a CJ1M PLC to other devices. Connection of RS232C to RS422 through K3SC is OK. But USB to RS422 through K3SC or USB to RS232C failed - with only RD light flashing. I've installed K3SC WINXP driver to have a port 12 to communicate. DIP Switch 8 is ON to allow for USB master side. Any body can share ideas ? Thanks.

RS232 > USB Not Possible RS422 > USB Not Possible USB > RS232 Possible USB > RS422 Possible

Yes, pls read my wording carefully. I said USB to RS422 and USB to RS232C failed. Meaning USB is master, RS422 or RS232C is slave. Not the other way around! Is there any possibility that this connection failed ? Thanks.

I assumed by the above statement that you are using K3SC to connect CJ1M serial ports to other USB devices. You might tell us a little more about what you are doing. Try these threads: Search K3SC @ MrPLC.com

Hi Jay I want to use K3SC to connect CJ1M to a CPM2A over RS422 over a long distance. At times, I want to connect my laptop to CPM2A via my USB port. My laptop has only 1 serial port, so having ability to connect to PLC via USB port will give me more options. Is my intention clear now ? Of course, many people will find other applications with this K3SC. Thanks.

I dont have any serial ports on my laptop, and I do all of my programming on it (PLC, Touchscreens, Barcode Readers, and C# programs) What I use is a USB to Serial adapter from CDW. Personally I feel this is the way to go if you need to connect to external things where serial is the normal connection because you can add as many as you want through a USB hub. The Targus one I linked to works without any additional software (assuming you use XP) and the computer knows what serial port it was assigned so you always have the same port per adapter. Dont know if this will help your problem, but for me it was the smart choice due to the small ($25) investment allowing me to avoid the headache of trying to adapt something.

Hi ChrisKozanecki, I know what U mean. But I specifically want to use K3SC's USB connection for this project.The reason is it's built-in support for RS422, where I can program and monitor a PLC remotely. Of course, I dont just want to use K3SC for PC connection only. After commissioning the project, K3SC is used for PLC to PLC connection. With normal USB to RS232, U eventually need another converter along the way if long distance comm is needed. K3SC is meant for industrial use!

I understand that you want to go a long distance between the two PLC's (where you are using the RS422) but with CX Integrator and ___ (cant remember the program name before CX-I ~too early in the AM lol) you can connect to one PLC through the peripheral port, and then talk to the other PLC over the RS422.

Sorry, Chris, that is not possible with CPM2A.

No, CPM2A doesn't support FINS. So access to CPM2A via CJ1M is not possible, because HostLink frames become messed up. But I feel we are off track now. The question is K3SC, not PLC !