Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gravitar

Just when I thought I had seen it all..

3 posts in this topic

Here's one for the X-files. I've got a prox with an 8mm threaded barrel. Shielded/flushmount type. Got called out to a machine, operator says sensor's not working. Didn't look damaged, so I thought I might just try adjusting its position. (here's where it get WIERD..) Ok so as usual, the prox is attached to a bracket using a couple of nuts, the bracket is sandwiched between them and the nuts get tightened. Now get this: When one of the nuts is threaded close to the sensing end of the barrel, the prox works fine... switches on/off like usual. BUT.. when the nuts are threaded down to the middle of the barrel, away from the sensing tip, the prox is stuck on!! I'm at a loss to explain this behavior. Very repeatable too, I got it to behave that way several times. Keep in mind this is a shielded prox, so having the nut close to the end shouldn't affect the sensing coil at all. It is a used prox, but the face and barrel don't look damaged in any way. I saved the prox, as I couldn't bear to throw a freak of nature like this away :) I might try setting up the web-cam to make a movie of this "magic trick" in action!

Don't tell the company that manufactured it about this. They will probably want to bill you for the "enhanced operating characteristics of this proximity sensor with undocumented addtional features".

You should report that in the product reviews sections with some pictures!