Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kothy

ControlLogix 5550 communication

8 posts in this topic

Hi, I am tryin to put Controllogix 5550 on network, and access it from a different location in the plant. I tried the ETHERNET drivers available but I couldnt find the PLC. And moreover can we set our own address to the PLC? Also can i use a HUB to connect PLC to the network? Thanks kothy

If you could fill in some missing information it would be helpful. Are you using a 1756-ENBT to connect the chassis to the network? Do you have the IP addesss of the ENBT configured in the Ethernet driver? Are you using the Ethernet driver or the EthernetIP driver? Yes you can use a hub to connect the PLC to the plant network. The link below is to the setup for the ENBT module. It gives details on what to do in order to communicate to a ControlLogix processor. ENBT Edited by HalBishop

HalBishop, Thanx and here is the mising info: I have 1756 ENET/A tried using Ethernet devices and Ethernet/IP drivers Initailly i tried to communicate directly between my comp and the PLC by assigning private IP addresses with difference of one EX:162.14.12.1 to PLC and 162.14.12.2 to comp. this works. But it wont when i tried to put it on the network unless i dont have the right module or the right driver or either i am messing up the IPaddresses. kothy

Just a thought, I dont know if you tried this or not, but are you using a crossover enet cable or a straigth thru cable? If you are connecting directly from your computer to the ENBT then you have to use a crossover cable. If you have a hub then you can use straight cables.

Can you ping the processor IP when you are connected to the network? (from the PC you want to program from) If you can't ping it, it is a network problem.

Hi kothy, if you have communication between your pc and the Ethernet card you can ping and have an aswer. Here some possibilities: - for direct communication use a crossover cable, but you have to set an IP address manually for your pc - check if subnet mask addresses are right - check for double addresses (for direct comm not really useful) - check ethernet cable - be sure about the IP address in the Ethernet card good luck Ron the bon Edited by Ron the bon

Thnx for all the clues. A straight cable from PLC to HUB with the right Subnet and gateway worked. I can access the PLC froma different location . But here is the new problem, the connection stays only for certain period of time. I will have to shut down the RSLinx server and restart it to work and this continues. Any thoughts? Thanx

Right click on your driver in RsLinx and go to Driver Diagnostics, are you seing a lot of errors here? Ethernet Hubs are sometimes not the best choice in process networks, use a Ethernet Switch instead, whenever possible.. Another possibility could be a duplicate IP address on the network, you can check this by taking your PLC of the network and trying to ping it's address. If you get "Request Timed Out" that will eliminate that possibility. JJ