Automation_Guy2

Series Six PLC Expanded I/O addressing

2 posts in this topic

I have a program to convert from Series Six to RX3i and the series six is using expanded addressing. I need help to convert this to standard addressing. I found a manual for this but I still can't figure it out. For example I have  addresses  I1+0201    I1+0203    I1+0205    I1+0206    I1+0207 and need to represent them in RX3i. I attached the 3 page "manual" on extended I/O for reference.

Thank you in advance for looking at this

Series 6 Expanded IO Addressing.pdf

The expanded I/O addressing is mapped to R memory as shown on the third page of the pdf. It was a way to use register (16-bit) memory for discrete instructions since the Series Six instruction set did not permit anything like R123.00 to indicate the least significant bit of word R123. In programs that use the feature, you had to be careful not to use the R addresses corresponding to the expanded I/O addresses for timers or arithmetic operations.

For your specific example, I1+0000 through I1+1023 are mapped to R193 - R256 with I1+0193 through I1+0208 mapped into R205. Thus, I1+0193 is bit zero of R205, I1+0194 is bit 01, etc.

When converting to Rx3i, just use discrete memory or boolean symbolic variables. Whenever I've done Series Six conversions I've always referenced the Series Six address in the description of the Rx3i variable, along the lines of "was I1+0201". It helps in proofreading and debugging. You should also check the Series Six program to see if the corresponding R addresses are used anywhere. 

2 people like this