Honda

CJ2B-EIP21 with 1734-AENTR setup

3 posts in this topic

Hello. I am wondering if anyone had experience setting up Rockwell 1734-AENTR Point IO with Omron CJ2B-EIP21. Technically it should be possible, but I am struggling for some time.

I have proper EDS installed in Omron Network Configurator and setup proper chassis size for AENTR, but can't get them talking. In the network configurator it says Verification Error (tag data links only), error information 03D4. I previously had this type of error setting AB to Omron comms if there was typo in the consumed tag name. However here is different situation.

First of all, I only have 1734-IB8 input modules in the rack, but when I setup connection in Omron network configurator it refuses to register connection without output tag set, but AENTR with IB8 doesn't technically consume any tags. Not sure why Omron still asking for output tags. And it doesn't matter if I try to setup IO connection type either as "Assembly Exclusive Owner" or "Assembly listen-only", still asking for output tag set. So, I end up setting up "dummy" output tag set just to finish connection registration, but still no luck.

I am not sure what tag name in Omron PLC should be. When I configured produced/consumed between Omron and AB plc it was straight forward, making the same tag name in both Omron Network Configurator and Logix5000, but with 1734-AENTR I don't know, if tags produced by 1734-IB8 should be named in specific way in Omron. And I couldn't find any information to this regard in Rockwell manuals.

I attached images with my setup. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2024-01-10 18_59_41-192.168.1.51 1734-AENTR EtherNet_IP Adapter Edit Connection.png

2024-01-10 19_01_49-Edit Device Parameters _ 192.168.1.15 CJ2B-EIP21.png

2024-01-10 19_02_04-Edit Device Parameters _ 192.168.1.15 CJ2B-EIP21.png

2024-01-10 19_02_24-Edit Device Parameters.png

2024-01-10 19_02_33-Edit Device Parameters.png

If this is a practical application, I would highly suggest using NX I/O instead of Point I/O. They are similar in specifications and size. Omron will support CJ2 to NX 100%.

If this is for fun, I can appreciate that. :)

Rockwell does not play well with other EtherNet/IP scanners so you won't find any Rockwell information to use Point I/O with anything other than an AB PLC. You are correct that technically it should be possible as long as it adheres to the EtherNet/IP standard.

The one problem I see is in an AB PLC the AENTR uses a single byte (SINT) for the output word. Yes, the output byte is necessary for the module setup. The CJ2 is not capable of dealing with bytes so I'm not sure of a solution there. The tag name should not matter. In the CJ2, it will evaluate to an address eventually, even if you are using Data Types in the CJ2. Rockwell uses Module Defined data types to automatically populate the controller tags.

Thanks for reply.

This is practical. I would normally use NX IO, but for this specific machine and for some other internal reasons it make sense to use an existing Pint IO, if I can get it to work. You maybe right on the byte level. I didn't pay attention to this. I will try to adjust data size and see what happens.