Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
geepers4366

Using Cellular Comms for Remote I/O

3 posts in this topic

Any advice out there for using Point I/O with CLX over cellular comms?   We can ping the Point I/O from home base, and the Point I/O shows up in RSLinx from home base.

Sounds like something you'll regret when the bandwidth bill comes in.  Point I/O is made for "class 1" connections with traffic all the time.  Presumably this is a private cell network space?  As long as your private network routes UDP packets, it should work.  Ping is not a sufficient test.

Is it too late to say "don't do it" ?

Cyclic I/O runs data back and forth regardless of the change of status or payload, and fixed-site cellular data plans can get expensive in a hurry.   Makers of RTUs and other telemetry equipment have been trying to economize on data via report-by-exception and other protocols for decades.

It's entirely possible that your cellular connection doesn't support UDP, even unicast UDP.

Check to be sure that both TCP and UDP ports 2222 and 44818 are open and available.  

In Windows, PING isn't enough because it only tests ICMP.   Instead, I like to use the Windows PowerShell "test net-connection" (tnc) command, which lets you specify the TCP Port number to test.

1 person likes this