Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aoto10

GOT2000 Communicate Over Omron Networks

3 posts in this topic

I am working on a future project trying to use one GOT2000 (model GT2715-XTBD) to communicate with all our PLCs across our plant. We use a mix of Mitsubishi and Omron PLCs. I have had success communicating with all the Mitsubishi PLCs layered in Networks. I can even communicate with an OMRON PLC on the same network layer as the GOT. My problem is when I try to expand my reading across the OMRON networks, the GOT can't read anything from these OMRON PLCs. I am familiar with McProtocol and the FINS protocol. I've made programs in C# to communicate across all networks on the Mitsubishi and OMRON side of things. All my routing tables and network settings should be correct based on this. First, I'll post a simple network diagram of my network.

654b7de42ede7_NetworkDiagram.png.bb80efe

All the PLCs shown with the green checkmarks, my GOT is able to read data from. The one with the red X is where my issue lies. It is an OMRON PLC on a Controller Link network. I can use FINS messages with C# and communicate with this PLC fine. I assume the GOT is using FINS as well so I'm not sure why it can't read any data.

Now I'll post my GOT network settings. First the channel settings. The GOT net Number I assume has to be 103 so the target PLC knows where to send the data back to. The Station number I randomly selected as 26 since it's not being used.

654b7ee377899_GOTChannelSettings.png.22d

Now is the numerical display that does work that reads from the first OMRON PLC.

654b7f63078a4_OmronreadWorks.png.0a9763c

Next I'm trying to do the same thing on OMRON PLC at Net 30 Node 6. This reading doesn't work as nothing shows up on the GOT while running.

654b7fce42086_OmronReadNoGood.png.543bff

In my mind I'm using the same channel so the GOT knows where to send the read message. In this numerical display I don't use the Host but instead tell it to use a network at Network 30 and Station 6. To me this should be used in a FINS message and reach the intended PLC. Am I missing something? Or am I wrong in assuming that the GOT can transcend OMRON networks?

After some more in depth digging. I used Wireshark to track FINS message from the GOT to the Omron PLC. From what I gathered the GOT always sends FINS messages to the host Omron PLC and is not capable of navigating through Omron networks. I believe this is mostly due to the fact I cannot create a routing table for an Omron channel in GT Designer. In my example above trying to connect with network 30 node 6, the GOT simply will not attempt to send any messages if there is not a matching network in the Channel list. This could be easily solved with a routing table, but I am assuming Mitsubishi does not support them with Omron products. 

The only solution I can think of is to physically run an ethernet cable to the target PLC and put it on the same network as the GOT. 

You're not going to be able to tunnel across Controller Link.  Connect the PLC to Ethernet and try that.