Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cbarson

Generic Ethernet Driver

2 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I am working on a project using and NJ101 to communicate via CIP Ethernet to a PC based vision system. The vendor that makes the vision software has previously only worked with Allan Bradley PLC's and only knows how to setup communication using the Generic Ethernet Bridge. From what I can see this Generic Ethernet Bridge is essentially a generic EDS file that you are adding some parameters to (Input Instance, Output Instance, Configuration Instance) and it takes care of the setup. Is there any way to do this with Omron Sysmac Studio or Network Configurator? I have had some success CIPOpen, CIPSend, CIPClose function blocks but it is pretty clunky, I would prefer to have something more cyclic running in the background more like a standard Ethernet IP device.

The NJ and NX processors can certainly do cyclic EtherNet/IP comms, but they have no provision for slot addressing within a generic ethernet bridge. At least, not that I've figured out.  Can the PC Vision system emulate the Rockwell Generic Ethernet Module (single pair of I/O buffers) instead of the Generic Ethernet Bridge?