Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Soundman5535

Recommend plc for brushed motor controller

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys, 

Everyone was so helpful with my last post I thought I would get recommendations for what type of plc would work best to actively control the speed of a brushed DC motor or do I need to switch to a brushless motor instead. Since I have a working system with a brushed motor, keeping that would be ideal if possible.

I am using a motor controller with a reostat that controls speed now. I know it will require a rotation speed sensor maybe hall effect but since my experience with plc's is beginner at best, not sure if a plc can continuously vary output resistance. If a brushless motor is my best option I will go that route 

normaly I dont know how your motor would react but for tiny small motors you use PWM signals. 

turn on and off power for short times. like the fans in a computer  they ramp up and down. 

you need a hyspeed digital output that would open close a transistor or solid state relays .

something cheap like a ardino or a Pie 0 could do the job for you there are good examples for that to keep the costs down.

if you are using a drive / motor controller,

i think this poteniometer is just a way to make 0-10v that it uses as reference 

are you shure its a  current limiter? I would check if de drive support 0-10V or 4-20mA that will make things a lot easyer you just need a PLC with a analog output almost any wil do . if you use 0-10V you might need to put a end resistor so it pulls down the singnal faster to improve responsivness.

Edited by mike_cheesehead

Thanks,  will check the motor controller potentiometer for its output configuration. I never considered it to be a current limiter, that would be easier to replicate.