Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ECSI

AIC+ Problem

5 posts in this topic

Using my laptop, I successfully networked 3 ML 1500 processors using AIC+ modules and setting up a 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx. Now, I am trying to switch over to the customers PC but I am not having any luck setting up the driver. I am getting all kinds of errors such as 'Failed to Swap In Windows 2000 PIC Driver'. I am running RSLinx as an application instead of a service, which I was told to do as I set up the driver. Anyway, I started searching the Rockwell software knowledge base as well as this forum and have seen that this problem is very common and nobody seems to have a real solution to it. I've tried things such as reinstalling RSLinx and the driver, Uninstalling the Com port driver and reinstalling it, turned off windows firewall and Norton Antivirus. Have any of you found a workaround for this problem? I have also tried my home PC without any luck. I am willing to go out and buy a new PC if I knew it would work. My laptop is running XP Pro and the system works fine. Both PC's that I tried are using XP Home and XP Pro. Maybe I need the 1784-PKTX PCI board? Would this solve the problem? How does this card work...does it set itself up as a Com port? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Shut down all Rockwell Software applications. In Windows Explorer, go to the directory C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCOMMON, and find the Harmony.hrc abd Harmony.rsh files. Delete both files and re-boot. Start-up RSLinx and try to configure the driver. The 1784-PKTX is a DH+/DH-485 interface card (read: EXPENSIVE), and is fine for DH+ comms or on a fixed workstation running an HMI/SCADA over DH-485 network, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money to talk to a couple of Micro's.

Thanks. I'll give it a try. Yeah I figured the PKTX would be expensive. It is a Scada project though using RSView32 connected to 3 (soon to be 4) Micro's over DH485. The AB rep told me when I was quoting this project that I wouldn't need the PKTX card so I hope this works or I'll have to eat the extra cost. Thanks again

No, you can get this working without the PKTX card. If deleting the harmony files doesn't work, try this: http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/appl...62?OpenDocument

I didn't get a chance to try these suggestions but I did get the driver to load on a new PC. I haven't tried to go online to the processors yet though. So now the AB techs are telling me that using the PIC/AIC+ Driver is asking for trouble due to communication drop outs, no automatic restart on a power failure, Windows XP Pro vs. XP Home. They say Home won't work but Pro will...but I don't see a distinction anywhere in the Software compatibility documents. AB is suggesting I scrap the PIC/AIC+ driver and instead use a 1747-UIC USB to DH485 converter and use the DF-1 driver. A few minutes later they suggest that since its a Scada application I really should go to using a PKTX board. Geez...what a pain this is becoming...