Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChrisKozanecki

Can I use CAN?

6 posts in this topic

I have a CJ1G PLC that I am writing a program for to change the way a current tester is working. Right now the tester only checks for a voltage from a DMM and if its between two values it is considered PASS. We need to change this so that we are reading the CAN messages, and talking to the part. We planned to use a PC for the actual testing and just have the PLC and PC talking via RS232, but I have a few questions: 1) Is it possible to talk with CAN using a module for the CJ-Series? (to the PC, the part or both) 2) Is there a better method than using RS232? I this is my first project using communications, previous ones only required I/O so any help would be appreciated. I am doing my best to learn via the books I have. Edit: I realized I had a BAD typo.... we planned to use the PC for the testing, Edited by ChrisKozanecki

Take a look here: C200HW-CORT21 CAN Open Module Manual @ MrPLC.com

Thanks Jay, Is that the only CAN module though? This is a rather small test system, and I would prefer to use the CJ-series as that is what I already have parts for. If not I fully understand and I will continue with the plan of using RS232 only.

There is a CORT21-V1 planned for CJ1, but it is not ready yet.

I got this out of a Omron flyer Search for a CJ1W-CORT21

Thanks, AC_DC! W03E-EN-02 CJ1W-CORT21 CANopen Operation Manual @ MrPLC.com