Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rowens

moving AB software

4 posts in this topic

How do you move AB software from one laptop to another with the second laptop without a floppy drive? I do have a writable CD. Also how do I move programs and comments without losing them? PS. I am not familiar with moving software. I was given a new laptop at work. I appreciate any help. Please keep your answers simple, I get lost in the tecnical jargon sometimes. thanks

You might be able to move the software, the activation however, is a different animal. To move that you will need the original activation floppy-disk. On this disk is a utility called evmove.exe. Wehn you run this, you can move the activation file back on to the floppy. Then you run it on the new machine and move the file from A drive to C drive. As for you programs/comments, they should be moved separately. Which software package is it?

Sorry for he delay. I have been busy with another project and have not been on the net. Most of my job requires me to be on the plant floor. Please pardon my ignorance of software. The original version is 5.20.00 this is the one loaded. I have several updates but the AB project was put on hold for 2 years. Now they are talking about doing it. It will probably be in the next couple of months when it is started. We already have all of the plc's and panelviews that are new. The other updates are 5.50.00. I then have cd called standard /starter version 6.00.00 and cd version 6.20.00. The rslinx software is version 2.31.00. Another question is do I have to load the first cd 5.20.00 and then use each upgrade or can I just use 6.20.00 and reinstall activation? I have found the original floppy disk labeled standard edition master disk. 1 install. is this the disk you mentioned? Will this work with windows xp profesional? I apreciate your help.

If you have a notebook w/o a floppy drive (common these days unfortunately) then your easiest solution as far as I know of is to get a USB floppy drive. They're very cheap, I just picked one up on ebay used for $18. I have used these before to load activation on floppy-challenged notebooks. You should install the latest version you have, no need to install the older ones first. When you have the program installed on the new notebook, use the evmove utility (like others have said) to transfer the activation from the old notebook's hard drive to the master floppy. Then repeat the process (in reverse) on the new notebook. You should then be a programmin' fool. If you have RSLogix, RSLinx lite, and Panelbuilder32, the only program you need to worry about activating is RSLogix. the others don't need activation.