ystavrou

Kinetix 5500 and motor setup

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am quite newbie in the PLC world but I got my hand on a Kinetix 5500 (model 2198-Hxxx-ERS2) with a VPL-A0631E-C motor. I also have a CompactGuard logix 5380 to program it. I am doing a "for fun" project to experiment and learn how the devices work. 

My first question is about power wiring. In my understanding from the manual, the Kinetix 5500 main power can be configured as three-phase or single phase (Using the L1, L2, L3, GND connector - think is called IPD). In my home I have a classic 220V (EU) socket. Is there a way to connect the Kinetix directly to my socket? I tried a few random stuff like L1 -> L , L2 -> N or L1 -> N , L3 -> L,  (GND -> GND) but every time the circuit would break. (Actually, I had one lucky attempted where the circuit did not fail with  L1 -> L , L2 -> N, and I managed to operate the motor, but when I reconnected it again it failed. Am quite buffled about the issue here. I am using a socket splitter if that something to comment on.)

The second question is about purchasing an actuator. I found many interesting stuff like index tables or linear actuators. I requested a few quotes from some vendors but the price range they provided is a bit off budget for me (the majority was more than 2k). I am looking for some thing to attach to the motor in a price range of 1k - 1.5k. Do you have any suggestions for me? There are no load requirements. I just need to have a moving part so that I can for example put a barcode sticker on it and change the behaviour reading on that. I could attach something handmade but I am willing to put something extra to buy commercial equipment.

As I am new to this, feel free to comment any inaccuracies or misconceptions. Happy to learn.

Edited by ystavrou

Any time a 3-phase drive is running on single phase power, you will use only two of the three line power (L*) terminal blocks. The most common configuration is to use L1 and L3 as the line power to the drive, leaving L2 empty. Do not use the neutral from your single phase power supply. The drive will still produce a three phase output but it will be de-rated, typically to 1/3 of the name plate horsepower on the drive. So a ten HP drive would only be able to run a three HP motor when the drive is supplied with single phase power.

Perhaps someone else can help with your application question.

Page 77 of the user manual (2198-UM001I) shows a single-phase grounded (WYE) supply connected so L1 is the neutral and L2 is line. They do not show a method for ungrounded single-phase supply. This does not apply to all Kinetix 5500 drives; just the ones that support single-phase input power. According to ProposalWorks, that's the 2.5A, 6.3A, and 12.5A peak output models.

Joe E, thanks for adding the clarification.