Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sparky

RS Logix 500 to 5/03

5 posts in this topic

Good morning, I am new to RS logix so please bear with me. I have several 5/03 processors in my plant. I will be buying the 500 software. Do I need a PCMK card $$$ I understand it makes communications easier. I have windows 98, and I can go to 2000 or XP if I have to. Can I use just cables without an interface converter. and do I need a serial port for those connections. I will quit. Thanks In advance Sparky

Greetings sparky, the SLC-5/03 processors (and SLC-5/04 and SLC-5/05 models too) have a DB9 port ... this can be usually be used for programming purposes ... BUT ... in some applications, the DB9 port has been reconfigured to allow a barcode scanner, modem, operator interface, etc. to be connected to the SLC processor ... if that has been done in your application, then the DB9 port is no longer suitable for programming ... so here’s a question for you: is there anything connected to the DB9 ports on your processors? ... if the answer is “no” then you’d probably be wasting your money (roughly $1500.00) to buy the PCMK card and the cable to go with it ... instead, a simple null-modem cable will do the trick ... you can buy one from Allen-Bradley (roughly $50.00) ... or from Radio Shack (roughly $10.00) ... or build your own ... the pin-out is as follows: pin 2 to pin 3 ... pin 3 to pin 2 ... pin 5 to pin 5 ... the next question is: does your computer have a serial port available? ... if not, then you can probably use an adapter (from Office Depot, etc.) to change your computer’s USB port into a serial port ... ask us about specific brands and model numbers before you spend your money for this solution though ... some model adapters work better than others ... another way to go is to buy a 1747-UIC adapter and a cable to go with it (roughly $250.00) from Allen-Bradley ... this plugs into your computer’s USB port and then into the TOP port (DH-485) on the SLC-5/03 processor ... basically it does the same thing as the PCMK solution but for a LOT less money ... the trade off? ... there are different cables available for the PCMK so it’s a more flexible solution ... so if you had other models of processors (using DH+) then the PCMK card might be worth the money in the long run ... so ... are we having fun yet? ... the best thing to do is to give us more details about your hardware ... what’s plugged into it? ... what ports are available on your computer? ... etc. ... the more we know, the more we can help ... and welcome to the forum ... best regards, Ron

Hi Ron, Thank you for the detailed reply. On two of my5/03 processors the dtam is plugged into the 485 port, the other three 5/03 processors have unused 485 ports. only one of them uses the rs 232 port for a printer application. My old laptop has windows 98 all the ports are available including the serial port. Although I am looking for a reason to upgrade to a newer model laptop which I understand most do not have a serial port and would probably have xp installed. So from what I gather I should buy the 1747-uic adapter and cable, and utilize the 485 port on all equipment? by the way what is DH plus? and what brand usb to serial adapter should I buy. I will be purchasing the newest version of Rs logix and linx lite. Thanks again

Greetings sparky, just make sure that it’s RSLogix500 ... RSLogix5 or RSLogix5000 will NOT work with your SLC processors ... best regards, Ron

HI Ron Thank you very much, excellent job answering my questions. I am sure I will have more questions in near future, Thanks again Sparky