Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OrionK

Project management and code generation software

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I have a question to all of you guys - do you ever use any software or online tools to manage your automation/electrical engineering projects?

I have worked in a number of companies and have seen various scenarios, from using excel tables to run multi-million dollar projects to using proprietary SW for every little tiny project. Unfortunately I do not have experience working for any major big integrator and am very curious how projects are managed at this level (and if every engineer likes the way it is handled). 

Additional question - does anyone have ever used a software to automatically generate the PLC code? I know some companies develop products to generate the "skeleton" of PLC program and I think it is a great thing to have.

Hi,

Excel spreadsheets seem to be very popular for project management, but it's better to also use an ERP software.

Regarding  automatically generated PLC code, I use a tool that I wrote in Visual Basic, and the data is entered in Excel. It saves me a lot of time, like a the equivalent of 8 hours coding the "skeleton" of the PLC program done in seconds. I also automated part of the HMI code.

1 person likes this

I just recently began using ProjectLibre, which is an open source software. You can download it here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/projectlibre/. My decision to use this software:

1. It isn't Microsoft!

2. It is open source.

3. It will import Microsoft Project files (my primary reason - oh, you thought it was reason number 1? LOL.)

After using this software now for a few weeks, I like it. If you have ever used Microsoft Project then you should be able to use this software.

Guess, I'm old school, which is another word for stubborn.  Too lazy to use anything other than spreadsheets.

1 person likes this