Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Minty

CPM2A Fins Gateway?

2 posts in this topic

Hi I have a CPM2A program that works fine interfacing with digital equiptment. But now i have a requirement to interface the same PLC and software to a PC with a serial port. I`ve found a CIF01 extra serial port which will allow 1 port for programming and one for the serial connection to the PC. Looking at the various ways to handle the serial communications i can see 2 ways 1) hostlink 2) Fins Gateway. I have used hostlink but as i require both inputs and outputs the only way i know the PC can know a bit has been set by the PLC is constant scanning of the word.....is this true? Also i believe "Fins Gateway" is a seperate purchased package, can this be purchased once or does it have to be purchased every time we use it in a system? I understand i`ll have to internally remap the digital outputs to DM locations that can be read, but a Omron guy also mentioned the requirement for a Rx or TX command. I didnt understand this (neither did he) so could someone also fill me in on this and what/why/who its required. Many Thanks

QUOTE]I have used hostlink but as i require both inputs and outputs the only way i know the PC can know a bit has been set by the PLC is constant scanning of the word.....is this true? Both FINS Gateway and Hostlink use the Hostlink Protocol so there will be no advantage in either with respect to event based transmissions. Hostlink is Master-Slave relationship in which the computer (master) polls the PLC (slave) for changes in a register. The CPM2A (slave) only transmits when commanded by a master. Using Hostlink, the Slave cannot iniate transmissions on its' own. Both FINS Gateway and a product called Compolet are single license products. One computer - one license. Both would need to be purchased to do your application. Since you have already wriitten for Hostlink, I would stick to your code. Since this is a serial protocol, FINS Gateway is not going to do much for you that you haven't already done.