Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Brian Schneider

PLC5 connection to outside phone line

3 posts in this topic

How can I connect my laptop to my AB PLC5 though the telephone? I would like to be able to access the processor from home for troubleshooting. I have a desktop located at an I/O rack where I can access the processor and a telephone line with it's own extension. Any ideas?? Thank you. Brian Schneider Glens Falls, New York

Based on the information you have given, there are two approaches I would suggest. ONE: You mentioned that you already had a desktop located near the PLC. If that desktop already has all the license software to connect to the PLC, I would suggest you setup a remote session with that computer from home if that PC is on a high-speed Internet access and you have high-speed access at home. Then you can "drive" that PC from home at work. Of course if someone walked by that PC it might freak them out to see the mouse moving around the screen on it's own. TWO: Setup a modem connection direct with RS Linx. I wrote an article that might give you some directions: http://www.mrplc.com/kb/index.php?page=ind...ex_v2&id=9&c=11 A word of caution about your phone system with the dedicated extension. Make sure that line is analog. You won't be able to connect a digital telephone system to your PLC with a phone extension. Most generally you’re going to need a direct dial outside line that does not go through your corporate phone system. Hence the same thing a FAX machine would require if you tell your IT people what you need. Some phone systems can dial a direct extension and switch it over to analog. Make sure you ask the questions about your phone system.

Thank you very much! I will begin to lookinto this immediately. The desktop has no internet access and no modem. Just a card to access the PLC. Can't hury to try! It would save me an hour trip each way if I can make this happen. Brian Schneider