Ol_Johnny

3rd Party Q Series Intelligent Device Modules

6 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

New member here, and this site has always been a big help!  I try to help other folks too, but a lot of guys are super quick on here.

I've got a problem using some obscure components.

I inherited a sensor network at work that uses Panasonic S-Link and I need to read them from a Q-Series.

Panasonic makes a module that slots into the Q Series called an SL-VMEL-Q that I have.

My question is:  Did I do everything correctly on my Mitsubishi side?

I put it into the parameters as an intelligent module with 64 points and I put the correct address in for the start I/O.

Is that all I have to do?  This is the first time I used a module that wasn't on the drop down list when you add one in GX Works 2.

I can read and write to the buffer memory, but I can't get the unit to send to or receive from the sensors.

I think the problem is that there is no end unit on the S-Link line (I don't know if it's just a terminating resistor or what), but it previously worked without one, so I can't be certain.

screen shot.jpg

Hi and welcome as a poster!

I have never used the module you are referring to, nor have I used S-Link, but according to the manual there's a little configuration needed to get the module working. I found a manual here:
https://www3.panasonic.biz/ac/na_download/fasys/sensor/wiresaving/manual/sl-vmel-q_e.pdf?f_cd=3121

To your setup: First of all, it is a standard intelligent module with 32 I/O points (not 64 like you've used). It doesn't matter for the config you have, but it's best to set it correct straight away. Secondly, if you can read/write to the buffer memories then you're probably "almost there" (I would guess). The manual gives a small example in page 18, a bit of ladder code -> try that first. It also looks like you can configure some bus settings and/or node settings from page 23 in the manual, but I haven't read it in detail.

As mentioned, I've never used S-Link or this module before, I just read quickly through the manual for the module and I'm referring to that.

What does the inputs say? Does X0 (or in your case X60) turn on ("Unit Ready")? Is X1 (or in your case X61) turn on ("BUSY" - it means the module is booting or in config mode)? Does any of the error inputs go high (X10-X16 - or in your case X70-X76)?

I was confused when I read the manual, because on page 19 it's says the product incorporates 32 points input and 32 points output, so I thought it was 64.

I left out the code on 18 because I set the parameters on the unit itself... and I was able to see those settings change in buffer memory when I powered on.

Also, yes the inputs appear to be functioning correctly, because I put the other programming example (customized of course) from page 33 into my program (where it reads and writes the buffer memory), and X60-X6F appeared to work, I could pause the device or remove +24 volts and the inputs would change as they should.

I did force an error and that bit was not going high.... it should have been X71.

Thanks so much for trying to help with this!

Regarding the number of I/O points, it refers to the maximum number of "I/O" (Inputs/Outputs), so 32 inputs and 32 outputs is the same as 32 I/O. That's not why you cannot get it to work though, but it's best to set it correct straight away.

I think you should try to download the few lines of code to the PLC, just in case there's some initialization being done when transferred to the buffer memories. Try it, just as a test.

Just to update - I found out I was doing everything correctly, except for the I/O was set to 64,  thanks for clearing that up!

It turns out, if anyone has to mess with this style of fieldbus... that there are 2 versions of S-Link from Panasonic.

The newer one is called S-Link V and it does not work with sensors manufactured for the older system.  (I think different baud rates.)

So I suppose we'll be replacing them because they're obsolete anyway.

Edited by Ol_Johnny

Thanks for the update, and don't hesitate to post again if you run into any issues :-)