Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest concepts

Newbie need some Help...

9 posts in this topic

I am brand new to the 90-30 PLC with Ethernet, and want to try a few basic things out. First of all what is the register that you would use to get the time from the 90-30. Also, I am setting up the ethernet port, are there any tricks to get it working correctly. What software do you use to set up the ip address on the module? I just need to figure out some basic things on this to ensure that this unit is correctly working, and will work for our applications... Thanks Very Much For All Your Help...

For setting up the IP address of the ethernet module, you use the hardware configuration from whichever programming package you have (Proficy ME, VersaPro, or Logicmaster). It's pretty straighforward. To read the PLC's clock/calendar, you need to ecxecute a COMREQ function. There's an example in the programming reference manual, GFK-0467, available at : http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/gefanuc/su...sIO/s9030-m.htm If you need practice on programming the 90-30, check out the simulations at the MRPLC.com store: http://shop.mrplc.com/view_product.php?product=PS32001 You can download a sample at: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?act=Downl...&CODE=02&id=310

You can use the link provided by Steve to get the manual GFK-0467m Series 90-30/20/Micro CPU Instruction Set Reference Manual. (Near the bottom) The instruction to access the internal Clock/Calendar is called a Service Request. (Serv_Req)

Guest, Thanks for that correction. I was thinking SVCREQ and wrote COMREQ. I must be getting old.

We are using cimplicity is this the correct software? I cannot get the plc to go online... I am using a 364cpu

The GE Fanuc programming package now known as Proficy Machine Edition Logic Developer PLC was formerly called Cimplicity Machine Edition Logic Developer PLC. So, when you say you're using Cimplicity, you're OK as long as you're not trying to program the PLC using Cimplicity Plant Edition (AKA Cimplicity HMI). GE Fanuc is months late in releasing their newest mid-sized controller line, the rx3i, but their suits can find time and resources to rename their software. I'm not positive, but I think you'll need to connect to your PLC through the serial port on the power supply first. Dowload a configuration that includes the IP address for the ethernet port on the CPU364 and then you should be able to connect via ethernet. My only hands-on experience with ethernet communications with a 90-30 is through a CMM321 ethernet module. If anyone knows of a way to establish ethernet communications between a PC and a 90-30 without first dowloading a configuration serially, I'd be interested in hearing how.

I have not tried this with the RX3i yet, but it works with the CPU364..... You can use the 'Set Temporary IP Address' Utility that is located on the 'Utilities' Tab of the 'Navigator' Window in Proficy ME. To use this this you will need to know the MAC ID of the Ethernet port, this is a 12 digit number located on the label. Read the associated help (F1) for details. My definition of 'Old' changes every year. Right now it is 'When your Grand Kids start getting married.' That gives me a few years yet.

I think Steve is correct in suggesting the serial port connection to download the IP address. Can you get online serially? You must specify the connection method, in Cimplicity right-click on Target and select properties, at the botoom of the properties frame that will open you can select the connection method via the 'Physical Port" dialog drop down; select COM1 (whatever you use). Then click the little lightening bolt on the top toolbar, this should get you online via serial port. Go into harware config, select the CPU364, in the ethernet tab you can specify all the ethernet parameters you want, download make sure everything is equal, go offline, select the new connection method Ethernet, type the IP address of the PLC and go back online. If you want a quick and dirty way to set the clock on the PLC: from the toolbar, Target/offline Commands/Show Status You can play around with these settings; "sync to host" or something like that. Good Luck!

I am pretty sure there is no way to connect to the PLC without first "telling it who it is on the network". Besides, all the GE programming software i have used requires an ip and a mac address for communication, and how would you know the ip if you just plug it into the net and it gets an ip from DHCP. (I think thats right) It's a vicious circle. Better off to plug in serial first.