LURBY

Micrologix "advanced" programming help

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone -

I have been programming for several years.  I learned how to program using a SLC150!  Currently I am using Micrologix 1000 PLC's and plan on shifting to the 1100's when they stop making the 1000.  I had an electrical background so I looked at programming from that point of view.  How can I turn relays into ladder logic.  This got me by for several years.  I learned what I needed to learn and that was it.

Now I am getting into more serious applications.  I want to use a Micrologix 1100 to communicate with a Kinetix 300 Servo drive and a Powerflex 525 drive over Ethernet.  There is a program done by AB that does everything for you.  It's great and it works but it makes me realize that my PLC knowledge only scratched the surface!  I never learned things like "long words", advantages/disadvantages of latch relays, advantages of using "symbols", and many many other things.

Here is my question.  Is there a book, video, website, etc that I can use to learn some of this more advanced stuff that I should have learned 20 years ago?

I would encourage you to stay away from the Kinetix 300 servo controller and move towards the Kinetix 350.  One serious issue we ran into is that the extreme limits are configured NO (i.e., extreme limit gets damaged and potential exists for the mechanical apparatus to run off of the rails).

Along the same line, the MicroLogix 1100 does have an Ethernet/IP port, but much like all Logix500-based controllers, networking is for peer-to-peer messaging.  A CompactLogix that supports coordinated motion I would highly suggest.  Keep in mind that CompactLogix and ControlLogix controllers both utilize Studio5000 (Logix5000 before Rev. 20).  The coordinated motion function blocks of the Studio5000 series are very straightforward to code and get into operation.

For myself, the Advanced Studio5000 and Advanced Motion classes by Rockwell have worked for me.  There are other forum members who have designed similar hands-on or literature-based training.  With the Rockwell courses that have labs, the lab instruction book you receive is a great tool to go back to re-visit "how did I make that work?".

Additionally, Rockwell packages many of these classes into smaller classes that they offer at their On The Move shows that are offered regionally.  These are shorter classes that are usually FREE.  http://www.rockwellautomation.com/global/events/raotm/north-america/overview.page? 

My AB rep tells me the same thing.  Shift to Compact Logix.  The programming is much easier so they say.

My concern is with my customer base.  I am trying to keep it user friendly for them.  MicroLogix software is available for free online so if they need to edit something or if there is a problem they can connect their laptop to the machine and I can walk them through it.  My customers are all over the country.  This saves me a plane ride.

Just a suggestion:
you could use CompactLogix platform

Two reasons:

You can buy a Studio5000 just for Compact (cheaper) and you can use MSG instructions to communicate with another MicroLogix  when necessary.

Edited by AlexMota