aziz-az

Allen Bradley Barcode Scanner

4 posts in this topic

I am trying to figure out what I need to do to finish project on PLC

The project is using a robot and Barcode scanner  connected to a PLC

Based on the code that was scanned, I want the robot to go to a specific location based on each barcode

The problem is that I want to assign each output for each barcode but not sure how to do it

does anyone have any idea about that?

thank you

What do you mean by "assign each output for each barcode"? What kind of output? Analog? Digital?

When you scan the barcode what does the result of the scan look like (format)? What does the "robot" instruction look like? Is it an integer?

Which PLC are you using?

Edited by Michael Lloyd

Seems like you'd need a lookup table.  Make an array of strings with each string in the array set to match each specific barcode you're looking for.  then make an integer array with the same length as the barcode array.  each integer entry will correspond to the robot setup you want to use for each barcode in your array.  then use a for..next to loop through the barcode array looking for the barcode you scanned.  when you find the barcode, grab the integer from your 2nd array in the position you found the barcode.

pictures attached of how i set it up.  i used ST, just easier to do the looping in my humble opinion. 

testbarcode2.JPG

testbarcode1.JPG

If you are looking to send an ASCII String to your Allen-Bradley PLC, Real Time Automation has a gateway that may help. Setup is simple using the web based interface. On the Bar Code side, you match the serial settings for the scanner. On the PLC side, it is tag based. You define a tag within your PLC and the gateway. Just a little Ladder Logic, moving and clearing out the tag.

http://www.rtaautomation.com/product/435nbx-2/