Oscar724

SLC500 05/03 Ethernet

6 posts in this topic

I have 2 SLC500's that we currently don't have remote access to. I was wondering if anyone has successfully accomplished this conversion using cross over from AB pin out to standard Ethernet? I would like to use a wireless router to connect to our network which will allow us connectivity. My thought was to, make my own conversion cat6 cable with AB pin outs on 1 end and standard on the side that will go into the wireless router for bot processors. 

Will this work?

has anyone tried this?

Thanks

The SLC 5/03's RJ45 (Ethernet looking) port is not an Ethernet port.  It is an RS485 port.  Try to do that and you may end up burning up the Ethernet device you are connecting to or the SLC 5/03's port, it has 24VDC on it.

Since you mention wireless, how about two wireless serial adapters?  You could also use two 1761-NET-ENI modules to put them on Ethernet if the DB9 bottom port is available.

Not on the DH485 network port.  The SLC-5/03 Data Highway 485 port runs only the Data HIghway 485 protocol, which is not supported by any general purpose asynchronous serial interface device.

However, the RS-232 port (channel 0, the DSub 9 style connector) supports DF1 Full Duplex protocol, which *can* be supported by virtual serial port servers like the one you linked to.   

To network to both of those SLC-5/03 controllers via the DH485 port and WiFi you would need a dedicated purpose DH485 to Ethernet gateway.  Prosoft makes them, and there are a couple of non-RA-approved makers like Equustek as well.  

But if possible, I do recommend using the RS-232 port and DF1 Full Duplex protocol.

What value to the business does having remote access to these SLC-500 racks?  If it truly adds value and is not just another "it would be really cool if" scenarios, then your options are:

a) Upgrade processor to SLC-5/05 CPU, which has an Ethernet port.  Both SLC-5/03 & 5/05 CPUs have RS-232c ports.

b) If you have leased phone lines available at the SLC-500 racks, you could consider an SLC 3rd party communication module like the Marc Omni-Comm #166-01.

http://www.miille.com/166-101.htm

c) Upgrade SLC-5/03 CPU to a CompactLogix CPU that has an Ethernet port (of course, you will require Ethernet available at the SLC sites).  It is possible to keep the SLC I/O and add a remote I/O module.  New processor, old I/O.

great options....Thank you! hmmm not sure yet which route to go.....