bendolph

TCP socket comms to ABB IRC5

2 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and new to PLC programming so a bit of a noob but here goes...
I'm trying to send TCP packet data from a CJ series PLC to an ABB IRC 5 robot controller.  I've tried using the function blocks TcpOpenPassive, TcpSend etc. but to no avail so far.

Should I be able to send data to the robot controller using these function blocks or is it only intended for PLC-PLC communication?  At this stage I'd just like to know if I'm wasting my time trying to get this function to work in this way.

My aim is to send strings over TCP from the PLC to IRC5 to load a specific robot program (as typed/selected on the PLC).

Any help, or better suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Ben

You can definitely send data using the function blocks that you are mentioning to send data to the robot (if the robot is set up to handle such a command).  The issue may be that the robot is expecting the command to be in a specific format.  I would recommend that you get a test TCP server utility (free download from internet, there are many options) and see if you can establish a connection with it and send data to it. Then, make sure that you are sending the proper command format that the robot is expecting.