Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pierre

Another modem question

4 posts in this topic

I have used the article in this site to connect an SLC5/03 via Modem and it works perfectly. My settings where: ... and also ... Now the problem I have is that I cannot establish a direct link with my Laptop. I use Autoconfig but it does connect. My HMI (EZ220 from AD) will also not connect to this PLC with those modem com settings. I have another empty CPU and it does connect OK, so my cables and stuff are correct. Any suggestions.

If you are trying to use CH.0 on the SLC (serial port) to connect w/you laptop and/or HMI, you have to reconfigure CH. 0 Protocol Control to "No Handshaking" "CRC" Error Detection, and Embedded Responses "Enabled". If this is the case, why not use DH-485 on CH. 1 to connect to your HMI/Laptop?

I could use my PIC box but I prefer not. 'cause its not real good with XP and also my HMI cannot go with a DH485 device. it only has a serial port. Can I not have a communication configuration that can be connected to by a modem AND by my laptop serial port? Just like I do with all the other PLC I connect to....

Do not assume your cables are correct for this configuration. You have configured the port to work with a modem using RTS/CTS handshaking. That's the "Full Duplex Modem" setting. Is the cable for your computer wired to do the same ? You swap pins 7 & 8, just like Pins 2 & 3 are swapped for Tx and Rx. The A-B 1747-CP3 cable has this wiring already in place. Does your HMI have the ability to use handshaking ? You might get away with an HMI cable that has pins 7 & 8 jumpered together, to emulate handshaking because there is no modem delay.