GoldenBoy

PLC 5 to ControlLogix Messaging via Ethernet

2 posts in this topic

Hey everyone.  I am currently trying to send data from a PLC 5 to a SLC processor via a ControlLogix processor.  Neither the PLC 5 or SLC are on the same network.  Only the ControlLogix can communicate between the two.  I set up the MSG Block between the SLC and the ControlLogix without any issues.  However, when I set up the MSG block to read from the PLC 5 to the ControlLogix, I don't get a communications error but my INT isn't updating from the PLC 5.  When I trended the .EN and .DN bits for the MSG block, the DN bit never changes state and the EN bit only changes once in a while even though it is triggered from the same watchdog as the SLC MSG.  Not sure if maybe the CLX processor sees the PLC 5 over the ethernet but the PLC 5 is just too old to respond.  I checked other forums and everyone else got a communication error but I don't get one when I set it up.

How are you triggering the message block? Is it in a periodic task?

I stick mine in a Periodic Task.

I also have the Reset bit inline so that it is restarted when someone resets a shutdown. Whether you use that is dependent on your needs and how your system is configured.

This particular task was running at 2000msec

Message.thumb.jpg.db37a7ca55f38c5da01dc3

Edited by Michael Lloyd