Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jp5300

SLC 5/04 Panelview Security Screen

6 posts in this topic

I have a project where my customer is asking to provide a security screen where the operators would enter a password. The password would enable one of three different user levels. Each user level would allow for different capabilties of the operator - ie allow operator to access functions - Timer presets, System setpoints ... etc. I have never done this before and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a "simple" programming code. Thanks!!

If you need is a screen protected with password, I hope this help topic be useful. This help topic is from the PanelBuilder Software: Secure a screen You can restrict access to specific screens in an application by requiring authorized operators to enter a password. 1 In the Screens folder of the Application Window, click a screen. 2 On the Screen menu, click Properties. Or right-click and select Properties from the shortcut menu. 1 Select the Secured check box if you want to restrict access to the current screen. 2 To authorize specific operators to access the current screen, select the Operators tabs and then select the appropriate check boxes. A cleared check box denies access to an operator. Notes · Operators and passwords are defined on the Operators tab of the Application>Security dialog. · You can also secure screens from the Secured Screens Info tab of the Application>Security dialog. Screens folder The Screens folder is located in the Application Window. This folder contains a list of all screens in the applications. Screens appear in sequential order, by number and name. To open the Screens folder, click + next to the folder. To close the folder, click -.

What we do is use a numeric entry field to send a password to the PLC then the PLC triggers the panelview to change screens. Then I would suggest using multiple sets of screens to limit access. An easier way is to use Panelview Plus which allows you to hide objects based on the user logged in.

This function is built into PanelBuilder32. It is simple to set-up and to add different paswords for different operators (i.e. - operator, supervisor, maintenance) and select which screens are secured and which operators have access. Follow the instructions in the help file nd you should be ok.

Note that this feature was introduced relatively recently (about 5 years ago). Older versions of PanelView require a firmware update to support it and PanelBuilder software has to be later than 3.7 (or was it 3.6?).

You're right Gerry I should have mentioned the version info. Edited by DoubleL