Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JRoss

New PLC old HMI, PLC5 to CompactLogix Transition

8 posts in this topic

I'm bidding on a project to upgrade a machine that is using a PLC5/30 and a PC based user interface that is running on Windows 3.1. The connection is serial. There is a second PC connected to the first one (also over serial) that controls a bunch of simple proprietary drives used to setup the machine for each new product run. The user interface PC sets the recipe information in both the PLC and the setup PC. So here's the dilemma. The customer would prefer to upgrade the machine in pieces, and is starting with the PLC. I'm planning to upgrade to a CompactLogix. Assuming I have no ability to modify the PC, is there a way to set up the CompactLogix to emulate the PLC5 communication so that I can simply swap it out? I am aware of the PLC5 mapping option in Logix 5000, which seems to be the way to go. I even spoke with Rockwell, and they said that it might work, but couldn't give me any assurances. Has anyone out there done something like this?

I've used the PLC5 mapping before, but not to this extent. That being said, I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

Ditto. I've only used it to set up messaging between ControlLogix and PLC5 over Ethernet.

Could you get a disk image of the PC involved? Then you could set it up in the lab and do some tests to be sure. Even if you just restore it to a virtual machine, you should hopefully be able to get it working. It would also allow you to do a full FAT before installing the CompactLogix on site. Edited by MrAutomation

My plan is to take a spare CompactLogix into the plant with me to test it that way before I buy hardware. That's written into the proposal! There's another contractor creating a backup computer for them, and I'll try to get the image from him, but that probably won't be until we're moving forward.

Sounds simple enough, but how big a system is it running now? Lots of I/O? Maybe money ahead to take it down and replace it all(?) Maybe us the rack adapter that Rockwell has? The Windows 3.1 end is a bit of a nervous part as I see it.

Agreed. There's a lot of I/O, buts it's mostly on remote racks that will remain, with new Ethernet/IP adapters. This is only phase 1, phase 2 will be to replace the HMI and the setup drives, but that was more than the customer was willing to bite off at once.

For what it's worth: The PLC5 mapping function in RS Logix 5000 did the trick. I converted the program and downloaded it to an L35E I borrowed from my distributor. I went on site today and connected the L35E to the user interface PC in place of the PLC5, and the communications worked. Thanks for all the input!