Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mjrx

ControlLogix and Modbus RTU

4 posts in this topic

Just wanted to get an opinion from the experts here, what is the easiest way to implement a ControlLogix 1769 as a Modbus serial RTU master. I have looked at Rockwell technote and read the ProSoft manual for the MVI69-MCM card. I have heard some say the ProSoft is a much easier way to go and using the .acd from Rockwell can be a bit hairy. Neither looks "simple", the .acd master method doesn't look a whole lot harder to do than the ProSoft. Can anyone comment?

My mistake, I actually meant "CompactLogix"

Prosoft 's modbus module ,to me, is pretty neat. It is easy to use and setup. For setting up as master,you just have to follow instructions on manual to import/copy program code, setup up modbus settings and config/write data to the predefined modbus addresses.That is about it.They also provide you cable and instructions on how to test/check the communication. Edited by mikey431

I'm an expert in ControlLogix and have taught classes on Modbus implementation and troubleshooting, and I would go with the Prosoft module every time. If you haven't revisited Prosoft's lineup for CompactLogix lately, have a look: http://www.prosoft-technology.com/Landing-Pages/ProSoft-Technology-introduces-Scalable-Modbus-R-Solutions-for-CompactLogix The 'Lite" version is especially good when you're weighing the hardware cost versus the time/complexity of implementation and troubleshooting.