Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kasim

Controlling AC drive via microcontroller

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I have Powerflex-4m AC drive. I want to control it ARM based microcontroller. Coding will not be a problem. I checked the user manual but there is no information about using with microcontroller. My drive allows mod-bus. I am using 4th and 5th pins of the RJ45. I just want to know is, do I need a converter to do this? Anyone knows, which data format do I sent to the register and which register adresses?

In the manual,available here, refer to Appendix 'C'. The information is fairly complete. Of course it does not describe the Modbus protocol. For that go to www.modbus.org. If you do not already have a Modbus library for your microcontroller then post details about it and your programming package. Someone may have information.

Kasim, I am wanting to do just about the same exact thing except my drive has an EtherNet connection. I was going to try and do it from a PC first but I didn't know how to send Modbus from a PC so I was going to use RS232. I found a device that will convert RS232 into EtherNet I/P but then I ran into the problem of what do I write as a serial (RS232) string that would get converted to EtherNet I/P. Once I got it all worker out on a PC then I was going to transfer what I learned to a microcontroller. Ether way, RS232 or Modbus, there is a converter available. I had to put my interest in this on hold due to the shortness of time to get the project done using a different method. Please keep us informed as I am very interested in the out-come.