Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phuz

Trouble with a 1756-L1 (version 7)

6 posts in this topic

Working here with a customer who has a version 7 ControlLogix L1. The PV 1400e died and we are attempting to get it up on a PVPlus. I have a spare L1 in my rack for testing, and I am merely trying to test with Ethernet at this stage using a ENBT module (version 6.1). I am online with the processor in a windows XP VM session. When I attempt to use the "test" feature of FT View Studio, I get errors like "Write attempt failed for item [plc]tagname (configuration error) on route ControlLogix in slot 0 of the chassis at 192.168.2.130." I setup the configuration by browsing through the IP and it found everything on its own, so I wouldn't expect any issues. Further, none of the tags show any data, so it appears nothing is getting through. I also tried to manually add the ControlNet (RN15S) driver and point to the PLC through the ControlNet module, but it did not like that either. I also tried using the Ethernet driver and it wouldn't communicate. I knew this would be a bit cumbersome, but I'm looking for some advice. Thanks. Edited by phuz

Please confirm that you are configuring RSLinx Enterprise from within FactoryTalk View Studio, rather than setting up RSLinx Classic. The Shortcut name that you configure in RSLinx Enterprise is what will go into the square brackets when you refer to a tag in the controller. It shouldn't matter for the Test Display feature, but be sure that you have copied the RSLinx Enterprise schema from the Development tab onto the Runtime tab.

Correct. They are using HMI tags, not direct tags, too. In FTView 6 or 7, I could not view the direct tags in the Online mode and I couldn't even load the offline tag file, but I created a new VM for FTView 5 and it now "tests" fine in FTView, but I still get the same errors when downloading and trying to run on the PV directly, whether its Ethernet or ControlNet. "Problem writing value '1' to item......" Edited by phuz

Are any of the connections Scheduled ControlNet I/O image tags ? If you can get the entire text of the error message, it might make sense. v7 controllers are certainly old, but they really should be OK talking to FactoryTalk View over Ethernet.

None of the connections are currently scheduled. For testing purposes, its only the v7 processor, CNB, ENBT, and the PVPlus. And for simplified testing, I am not even using the ControlNet right now. I am using the Ethernet driver, and like I mentioned, I can now "test" using version 5 of Studio, and the PVPlus is able to establish a connection with the PLC upon startup, but does not read or write to the tags. The information window that pops up at startup says CIP connection established, which is confusing since nothing is talking. To rule out any network issues, I put a crossover cable between PVPlus and ENBT which yielded the same results. The problem has even snowballed into the issue now where upon booting it gets stuck on "Loading symbol from RSLinx Enterprise". I followed this article (https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/507649) but still get stuck at the same point. This is only happening since using FTView 5. Edited by phuz

Went on customer site today. Used another PVPlus 1500 with the exact same program and its miraculously working. I suppose we have a bad PVPlus.