Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
machinemaker

new Micro810

7 posts in this topic

Has anyone used the new Micro800 family yet? There is free software. But unfortunately AB still sucks with the help files. I can not find how in the world to use the software. They give you three choices, ST, LD and FBD. I can use the Ladder okay, but can not figure out the FBD. Example using the math add box. How do I add numbers or integers to the box? They give example program but no explanation. It is really bad when the distributor can not use the software or kinda evades questions on it. I can use the ladder, but the function blocks elude me how to fill in the boxes. Since I use IECC in another brand, I would love to see how it works in AB. Very Very frustrating with the manuals. It is a low cost PLC that will work with a simple project, but if I have to pull out my hair, I might just pay the 700 bucks for the MicroLogix and call it a day.

There's a whole series of how-to videos on the Micro800. Here's a link to the first of three blog articles that list the videos: http://www.theautomationblog.com/micro800-family-how-to-videos-from-rockwell-allen-bradley/

Thank you for the link. they seem to be basic videos, to which I figured out on my own what was in the video. Where I am having trouble is Add a program>FBD. Then add the Arithmetic add block. Now I can not seem to figure out how to add values to the i1 and i2. I tried putting the varialble there but on compiling it says "expected bool". I am still looking for more videos. Using ladder seems to be easier to figure out.

Sorry, can't help. I've only used the ladder part, and only for troubleshooting someone else's program.

I do not think we will be using this product. Typical AB, you have to pay for videos. Some guy is advertising so many videos for over 400 bucks. Are you kidding. Maybe I am not understanding his motives hahaha. This plc has very limited i/o and by the time and frustration to add on modules, I mind as well just get a 1100 or something. The videos listed on that web site will not run for me. Not sure why. they did the other day. I was just poking around hoping I could find more help on the micro830

Just updating for those interested in using the new micros. You definitely need to watch the videos. there are plenty on You Tube. This is not a very friendly self learning software. Hard to explain it all here. Some of the issues I had were labeling. The software lets you label your I/O in certain places you should not be allowed. When you add a contact and try to use the label you created, it does not work or what you wrote in does not show. I know sound confusing, cause it is. Maybe if they limit what you can access at certain points. All in all if you watch the videos it certainly does help. Without the videos you end up fumbling around or just get plain frustrated. I finally did get the FBD programming to work, by watching the videos. There again, was clicking on wrong areas not obvious to click on.

I downloaded the software and am trying to learn to program it. The problem I am stuck on is programming timer functions in FBD, I cant figure out how to input the time delay to the PT input!