Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
teal854t

Panelvoew 550 (2711-K5A2)

4 posts in this topic

I'm trying to connect panelview 550 (2711-K5A2), Micrologix 1000 and PC via 1761-net-aic. Can I make 1761-CBL-AS03 myself or I need AB 1761-CBL-AS03 cable? I follow pin out diagram from rockwell website. I did as follow Phoenix TERM and A jumper together to RJ45 pin 2, Phoenix B to RJ45 pin 1 Phoenix COM to RJ45 pin 4 What do I do with Phoenix SHLD and CHS GND? I can't see panelview 550 in rslinx DF1 configuration, only micrologix 1000. Am I doing something wrong? Can someone make simpler for me? I'm not understanding the pin out chart from RS website. Which is pin 1 and pin 6 on phoenix? Which is pin 1 and pin 8 on RJ45? Thanks

Making a 1761-CBL-AS03 cable equivalent should be straightforward. The user manual 1761-UM004 has several nice pinout diagrams. The 2711-K5A2 supports only the DH485 protocol, which is different from the DF1 protocol that is the default for the MicroLogix 1000. The MicroLogix 1000 can automatically detect DH485 protocol, which I recommend you do instead of attempting to configure your computer for DH485 protocol on its serial port. Windows XPSP3 or Vista or Windows 7 will not support that driver, and no ordinary expansion serial port (like USB/RS232) will work. Only the dedicated-purpose USB/DH485 interface (1747-UIC) will work to communicate from a modern computer to the 2711-K5A2. If the PanelView terminal has version 3 or later firmware, it should support ATA flash cards. I've used CompactFlash cards in a Type II PCMCIA carrier (2GB or under, formatted for FAT16) successfully.

Thanks for the reply. I'm confused. I have PIC and I can upload/download panelview programs using PIC. Do I need to do any setup in PV and ML to communicate each other via AIC? Thanks

If you have a PIC and the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver works, that makes you a vanishingly small minority in the world of SLC-500 users. Congratulations ! You can connect to the 1761-NET-AIC with a 1747-CP3 or 1761-CBL-PM02 cable, and run that same driver to upload and download to the PanelView terminal. The MicroLogix 1000 should sense the DH485 traffic between the PanelView and the computer, and switch to DH485 mode, which will make it browsable in RSLinx Classic. Or, you can configure the MicroLogix 1000's serial port for DH485 protocol as its primary protocol. It will start up and run as a DH485 node at whatever DH485 address you specify for it.