Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chuckrock

Panelview Plus 600

17 posts in this topic

I have some quick questions to verify my research. Currently I am stuck with this situation ML1100 setup for ethernet connections PanelView Plus 600 setup for ethernet connections 1) in order to create a PV program for ML1100 I would need to use Panel Builder 32? 2) Will Panel Builder 32 download directly to newer PV's that use Factory talk studio? 3) I read there is an option in Factory Talk studio to transfer older Panel Builder 32 programs into it. Is this for upgrading your PB32 program to match your newly upgraded RS logix 500->5000? Again, thanks to anyone for any help provided.

1) The PanelBuilder 32 software is used exclusively with the PanelView Standard terminals; PanelView Plus terminals applications are being developed using the FactoryTalk View Studio software. 2) See #1 answer. 3) The PB32-to-FTVS "Import" tool is used to migrate PanelView Standard applications into PanelView Plus ones prior to terminals' replacement. Please refer to http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/ap/2711p-ap001_-en-p.pdf for Standard to Plus migration.

The type of logic controller doesn't really matter: PanelView Standard and PanelView Plus terminals will work with almost any A-B logic controller. PanelBuilder32 configures HMI projects only for the discontinued PanelView Standard terminals (Bulletin Number 2711). FactoryTalk View Studio ME configures HMI projects only for the modern PanelView Plus terminals (Bulletin Number 2711P). Since you have a PanelView Plus, you need FactoryTalk View Studio ME. The old PanelBuilder32 software will have nothing to do with the PanelView Plus. The FactoryTalk View Studio conversion utility does about a 75% conversion for most projects: there is often a lot of cleanup work to do so that the application looks and works correctly when you migrate from PanelBuilder32 to FactoryTalk View.

I am normally using to using Factory Talk Studio ME to create works for RSLogix5000 and downloading to a PV+. I don't get too deep into the programming. I was able to (or I believe I was able) setup communications in FTSME with the ML1100 but I couldn't understand how to do the connections. Normally when using RSL5000 all the tags would show up, but now nothing. Is FTSME capable of creating new programs based on a RSLogix500 program?

Your confusion is just lack of experience; forget about CPU user software; FTVS does not have anything to do with whatever you are using to program your controller with, RSLogix 5, 500 or 5000. You probably have previously used FTVS to develop applications to be used on Logix (Flex-, Compact-, Control-) platforms; this deployment is usually accomplished via Direct Tag Addressing (either Online with the controller, or using the CPU's Offline RSL5K application file). Unfortunately, the MicroLogix PLCs cannot be approached in a similar manner since they are not Logix class controllers (despite the confusing product family name!). If you have properly configured the FTVS project Communications Settings/Design Tab path and the machine you are running the HMI software on could (RSLinx Enterprise) "drill down" to a subnet connected, newer generation/firmware revision MicroLogix controller, you should be able to browse the Online CPU memory addresses. If you could go Online with the ML controller, however, you cannot pick Online CPU tags/addresses, you either do not have a properly configured Design Communications path (Shortcut), or your CPU does not allow RSLinx Enterprise browsing. If the former, re-configure the FTVS application Communications Settings/Design Tab path. If the latter scenario, you will have to use the HMI Tag development approach, method in which the user assigns individual communications paths to all the application's "connections" CPU addresses/tags; these HMI Tags are being stored within FTVS application's project tree HMI Tags folder in a similar manner to the legacy RSView/PB32/PB1400e software approach.

If you are connected to both your PLC and HMI simultaneously as dmargineau has described, be sure to refresh your tag folders when browsing for them. Right click on either your Online folder or top level folder then choose "Refresh Folder" or "Refresh All Folders". After setting Design Time communications I've found that restarting FTV Studio will solve the issue of 'not seeing them' as well. It can be a bit finicky.

Thanks everyone, I will be working on it Monday, and will try to do some more educational reading this weekend!

Still having some problems. Here is what I did. Ensuring my controller (ML1100) is online, with my newest program. Loaded a new FTVS file, went to RSLinx Enterprise and set up a new communications. Added a new device shortcut called newpro1 Selected my controller on the right under Design(local) Selected apply on the top left, followed by Copy from design to runtime, followed by ok. Added a multistate indicator. Went to connections and loaded the tag browser. After selecting refresh all, I made a new folder called Robot1, and then opened that folder. On the right side I right clicked and selected Import PLC tags. Gave a RsLinx shortcut name R1 found my RS500 file under PLC database. Selected all tags followed by use symbol name as tag address, then selected ok. Under my new filled folder Robot1 I selected my tag B3_1_0, Start Latch, followed by ok. Made sure to make and define 2 states on the indicator so I can see they are switching. Created a runtime application (5.10 *.mer), then went to the transfer utility. Selected my .mer file, and the panelview plus 400 on the network I will download to, and transferred. Panel View reboots and loads the program but the indicator is automatically in the error state, and will not change when I create the the Start latch memory file through the PLC program. This normally works, but normally I am using the RSlogix5000. The 656 page manual isn't really giving me answers. Does anyone noticed something I did wrong in the set up?

Before downloading the Runtime to the terminal, have you tried the "Test Screen" and the "Test Application" utilities? It looks like the Runtime communications path is not functional; the "Copy from Design to Runtime" FTVS feature is viable only if you are developing the application within the same subnet as the HMI terminal is located. In order to verify that the configured Display and Objects are functional, use the Test Display FTVS feature: you should be able to verify the functionality as if you were actually doing it within the terminal; open up the Display containing the configured objects and pick the |> radio button; this feature will be using the Design communications path. If the "Test Display" is functional the next step will be to "Test Application" (Running Man radio button); FTVS will compile a Runtime file and then open up an ActiveX ME Station interface; this should be functional just as the Test Display feature, however, it will be using the configured Runtime communications path; if the Test Application feature is not functional, then the Runtime communication shortcut configuration does not reflect the HMI to ML field topology.

I followed your exact procedure, and where it goes wrong is when you designate the "RSLinx Shortcut" during the HMI Tag Database Import process. You wrote that you "Gave an RSLinx shortcut name R1", so "[R1]" is the Shortcut name that FactoryTalk View used for an Address in the HMI Tags you are creating. You can see that if you open up the HMI Tag Database. But according to your description, the actual RSLinx Enterprise shortcut name is "newpro1". FactoryTalk View and RSLinx Enterprise will look for a shortcut named "R1", and not find it, so your tags will not show up on the PanelView. The simple fix to this procedure is to type in the exact RSLinx Enterprise Shortcut name during the Tag Import process.

Using the test application will save me lots of time between rebooting the actual panelview I went to Rslinx enterprise and started over again. Calling it newpro3 this time. Selected the same controller, and copy to runtime. Followed by using the verify button, before selecting ok. Here are the results. Shortcut 'newpro3': - Note: Path to Design device is assigned [MicroLogix Device]. - Note: Path to Runtime device is assigned [MicroLogix Device]. Went through all the regular stuff to see that in the test version the indicator is still coming up in an error state.

Additional comments: FactoryTalk View Studio and RSLogix 5000 are well-integrated because you can directly browse RSLogix 5000 tags either out of the controller itself, or out of the project database in the *.ACD file. There is no "import" process and you can choose to do Direct References or use the HMI Tag Database. It's not as well integrated with RSLogix 5/500. You can directly browse data table elements out of the controller itself for Direct Referencing, but as you have seen the *.RSP/*.RSS file integration is a one-time Import function that requires you to use the HMI Tag Database. I generally prefer to use Direct Referencing, either by manually typing in the Shortcut name and PLC/SLC/MicroLogix data table address, or by browsing to the controller itself online.

I have attached a picture of what I am seeing. RV2 is my new device shortcut I made. RVa is the folder I created to house all my imported tags. I noticed that the tag Data source is saying [RV2]B3_1_0. Now I created the runtime application and test ran it and there are errors ( that I can barely read). Failed to receive item's ID RV2 B3_1_0 because it doesn't exist on any server

Instead of the "Imported" addressing, I'd try: ::[RV2]B3:1/0 while making sure the RSLinx Enterprise/Communications Settings path is named exactly RV2.

I just tried that, although with a slightly different syntax, and it worked. {::[rv5]B3:1/0} Do I really need the outside parentheses?

I tried with the syntax dmargineau suggested and it failed. Back to what I had and it worked. Why does the it work for you and not me?

...two colons in front of the square bracket-ed comms Shortcut and the PLC address just the way it is scripted within the RSLogix 500 application file... This is the way PanelBuilder-to-FTVS "Conversion" feature "populates" the FTVS HMI Tags with the legacy memory addresses. Edited by dmargineau