Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jhughes

L35E Enet

7 posts in this topic

I have looked around the forum and found some topics that touch on this but I haven't found what I need yet so here I go: I have a CompactLogix L35E that communicates via ethernet to a Panelview 1000 as well as a SCADA system. This system has been functioning properly for several years and we have connected to make adjustments and calibrations with no issues. I went to connect yesterday and Logix 5000 showed me an error in which i foolishly did not read and cancelled. I am not sure if it happened due to the error or something else but the whole system dropped off line. Now the L35E will not communicate with the Panelview nor can i Ping it (the PV pings fine). I changed the switch just in case but no improvement. I connected via the serial cable and uploaded the program and verified Ethernet port properties (IP, Subnet mask, Gateway). All looks good. I have no errors and the L35E shows activity on the MS, NS and LNK indicators. I tried to refresh and Set the comms again but still nothing. Here's the rub. I need to keep this system running if at all possible so i have not tried cycling power to the L35E nor going to program mode and back to run. If it is not communicating with the Panelview I have no sure way to get it running again other than forcing bits through the logic. Is there something I am missing or does any one have any ideas? This is the first time I have seen something like this happen on a system that has been operating. Not sure where to go next.

Have you tried to browse the subnet with an RSLinx EtherNet/IP driver? If not, try so and see if the CompactLogix shows up there; you might be able to reset the port via RSLinx RSWho.

Refer to http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1769-um011_-en-p.pdf At page 136 you will find a chart of the Ethernet port indicator state LEDs which might also help you troubleshoot the issue.

The EtherNet/IP daughtercard properties that you see in RSLogix 5000 should show the actual running IP address, gateway, and status if you are online. If you're offline, they are not necessarily correct, because these values are stored separately in the nonvolatile memory of the daughtercard, rather than being part of the RSLogix program like they would be with a PLC-5E, SLC-5/05, or MicroLogix 1100/1400. The best way to see them online is the Port Configuration tab for the Ethernet "LocalENB" module properties, where you can click the Refresh button to update your view of the module configuration. The sure way to see the IP address is to browse through the serial port with RSLinx Classic to the Ethernet module, then right-click and select Module Configuration, then the Port Configuration tab. I always use PING and HTTP, then a utility called TCPING (from elifulkerson.com) to verify connectivity before moving to RSLinx or working with a PanelView. If you can't PING the controller, something is seriously wrong. You *should* be able to reset the Ethernet module separately from the controller by clicking the "Reset Module" button on the Module Info tab for the Ethernet daughtercard RSLogix 5000. I can't guarantee that, though, as I don't have a 1769-L3xE controller to test on.

I'm assuming that the PLC is still running and the process is being controlled. Check the Ethernet patch cabling to the PLC and the PV+. Do check, as dmargineau suggested, for the PLC's Ethernet port. Failing all that, you need to check the HMI. It has happened to me several times, where the firmware has become corrupted in the PV+ and the Ethernet driver damaged. In this case, your will want to do a firmware upgrade on the HMI and reconfigure the Ethernet port. Before doing the upgrade, you need to backup you mer to a compactflash. If you have the original project on a PC, then you could simply re-download the mer to the HMI with the device shortcut.

I was able to verify the IP, Subnet and Gateway through the Port Config Tab. I refreshed to make sure I was looking at the right data and all was correct. I hit "Set" just to make sure with no luck. I will try through RSLinx. I went out and checked the status indicators. The LNK and the MS appear to be good but the network status indicates "The port has an IP address, but no CIP connections are established." Not sure exactly what that means or if it is normal but I am looking up info now.

Ken Roach you are a stud! Through the serial port I was able to reset the ethernet daughter card which re-established communications (Module Properties, Module Info Tab, Reset Module button). It did not reset or affect the controller or any other functions. When you click the Reset Module button it will give you a warning about disrputing communications and the possible adverse affect it could have on your process. I debated it for a second and decided to go the YOU WON'T KNOW IF YOU DON'T GO route and hit selected OK. All is good and I have properly documented for next time. Thanks for all the input.