Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BuffaloB219

SLC 5/03 to eWON Cosy 141

3 posts in this topic

What is the proper cable to connect a SLC 5/03 to an eWON Cosy 141?

Given the amount of information in your post, I’ve searched the Internet to try to find both references… The first reference SLC 5/03 seems to be an Allen Bradley PLC (http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/programmable-controllers/slc-500-controllers) that have 485 and 232 to communicate (without extra modules which I don’t know if you have them). The second reference seems to be an industrial router (http://www.ewon.biz/en/ewon-cosy-141.html?ewp=33) which seem to be able to act as a gateway/bridge. If the eWON COSY 141 works as a gateway and it allows to be configured via the Ethernet ports it has, then you will need only a 232 or 485 cable between both devices. Given, of course, the fact that you’ve configured both to work in the same 232 or 485 protocol. Hope this helps.

first....that nice rectangular plug in the SLC is NOT Ethernet......so don't plug an ethernet cable into it and into a hub.......its DH485 (not RS485)..................the 9pin plug is either DF1 or DH485 at RS232 signal levels. You probably could connect it serially using the 9pin port......if you use the RJ45 you'll need some other modules...........in either case DH485 runs at 19.2kb.....the serial port possibly can go to 38.4 depending on model...(i believe)....otherwise its max is also 19.2kb.....so it'll be SLOW!!!.....you'll also need some sort of OPC server usually RSLinx in the case of Allen Bradley equipment.... bob