Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike burns

Mitsubish Training General info

4 posts in this topic

Hi guys Not so long ago I was appointed to take training for PLC`s since i fixed a few problems on site (computer and computer programming as a hobbie helped) I have since been sent on Mitsubishi Basic and advanced Training courses. These have help me find my way around GX developer and understand alot of what is happening in the PLC At my site we currently use A series PLCS and are starting to use Q series for new progects. I have also got IQ works for projects too. What I am getting at really is what other training areas do you think would help me. i meanly fault find and slightly change the A series PLCs and i am currently teaching my self IQ works and im getting there with that. with all of your combined knowledge of mitzy PLCs what areas have you have problems with maybe understanding the most. Networking maybe or remote IO`s just any areas you would deem best to know. Regard Michael Burns

If I were in your position, I would start by taking an inventory of the controls equipment that I would be responsible for. I would record model numbers on all PLC CPUs, I/O cards, analog, motion, network or other cards in the rack. I would also look into the types of human machine interface products. If you have drives, record them also. Then I would check to see how all of the stuff on the equipment "talks" to each other (digital I/O, ethernet, MelsecNET, CCLink, serial, etc). Once you have an idea of all of this, I would ask your local Mitsu rep for a list of classes that might assist you on your journey. Depending on your troubleshooting and other electrical skills, you may also want to look into some general classes. The bottom line (as you probably learned long ago) is that the classes will give you the foundation or starting point. Old fashioned, hands-on training will get you the farthest. I hope this response was not too general for you. Take care and best of luck!

Thanks for the Reply, It wasnt to general at all infact it confirmed what i have been doing is more or less right. I completely agree that hands on training will be the best way forward. To be honest It feels like they want to throw me in the deep end once i have a life jacket but i told them that learning to swim is where you learn. The projects i have on site are giving me a good insite but only on equipment I am actually putting in. I will make a list and contact mitzy i did see today that they offer custom built courses for that reason i guess. Anyway thanks again mate Regards Michael

Ok, I will add - you are obviously new to this even though you have been on courses. So my warning is be very careful My biggest suggestion would be - get a spare plc on a bench and the programming book and go through it page after page. Write small programs, upload and download them, verify them. get used to what it is like to be programming online. If you make a mistake online with a practice plc you can learn from it If you do it with a real machine online the results can be catastrophic.. It is hard to warn you how important this is: because I/we have been doing this for years and all the pre-checks you do before altering anything online is done automatically. (the consequences scare you witless so it is ingrained in your brain) All it takes is someone talking to you as you go online - and they are often talking to you, to tell you what alterations they need - and one false move and BANG something bad has happened.