Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DeltaKilo

SLC5/03 USB/232 Problem

12 posts in this topic

We recently bought a used injection molder and I am trying to connect to the PLC to save a copy of the program. My laptop didnt come with a serial port so my boss went down to Staples and got a USB to Serial adaptor. My computer has the adapter at COM5 but when I run the autoconfig for a RS-232 DF1 Driver, it doesnt pick it up. What should I do?

Some inexpensive RS232/USB converters don't work with the Autoconfig function in RSLinx Classic because they cannot rapidly change serial framing. The Keyspan USA-19HS is the Forum favorite. The default serial configuration for an SLC-5/03 Channel 0 is DF1 Full Duplex, 19200 baud, no parity, 1 stop bit, CRC error checking, with a Device Type of "SLC/MicroLogix". Try those settings. The physical serial cable should be a "null modem" cable, like the 1747-CP3. If you have just a generic serial cable, add a 'null modem adapter'. It's possible this setup won't work because the SLC-5/03 Channel 0 serial port is set for some other protocol. The usual way to connect to these controllers when you don't know the Channel 0 protocol is to use Channel 1, and that requires an Allen-Bradley device called the 1747-UIC. It's a USB converter as well, but it specifically runs the Data Highway 485 protocol that is implemented on the Channel 1 network port of the SLC-5/01, 5/02, and 5/03 controllers.

Thank you for your help. I still couldnt get it to work. Is there any trick to how I should have my adaptor port configured? I set the BPS to 19200, but what about the Data Bits? Flow Control? I do not have a 1747-UIC.

The default settings for an SLC-5/03 serial port are: DF1 Full Duplex 19200 bits/second 8 data bits 1 stop bit No parity CRC Error Checking No Handshaking. Your RS-232 Devices driver settings in RSLinx should be the same. Set the 'Node Number' to zero, and the Device Type to SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView. Set the COM port to the port detected by Windows for your USB/RS232 converter. And as I mentioned, the cable between the PC and the SLC-5/03 should be a "null modem" type cable, like the 1747-CP3. It's possible that the SLC-5/03 serial port is not configured for the default settings. Was it connected to anything else, like a 1761-NET-AIC module or some sort of touchscreen interface, or some other device ?

The SLC-5/03 controller has two communication ports. Channel 0 is the RS-232 serial port, with a DB9 connector. It can be configured for many different protocols, including DF1 or DH485 or ASCII. Channel 1 is the DH485 network port, with an RJ45 connector. It can only be configured for DH485 protocol. I do not understand from your post if "it" refers to the Channel 0 port or the Channel 1 port. Please describe in detail any devices connected to any of the SLC-5/03 ports. If the Channel 1 port is connected to a PanelView terminal over DH485, that means that Channel 0 might still be configured for DF1 and you should be able to connect to it with the general-purpose USB/RS232 converter. If the Channel 0 port is connected to a PanelView terminal using DH485 protocol over RS-232, that means that you cannot use a general-purpose USB/RS232 converter to connect to it. The only supported interface for that sort of connection is the Allen-Bradley 1747-UIC device, using the RS-232 physical port. Edited by Ken Roach

What exactly do you mean by "This" ? Posting that word is used as emphatic endorsement of a previous post on some informal Internet communities, but I don't see its applicability here. If you want advice on connecting to the SLC-5/03 controller in your injection molder, go ahead and post additional information or questions.

If you look, I modified your quote to show what my setup is.

Sorry DeltaKilo I don't see in that post (#7) how yours is setup. Do you have the offline file? If so post it here if you can, the .RSS file. Edited by Mickey

Also if you can post the complete catalog number of your PanelView.

What I see is that you posted three lines of my post, word-for-word identical to the way I posted them. Please do not re-post another user's text in the Quote field without at least stating clearly that you have done so. A single word, 'This', is insufficient and confusing, as the Quote field is intended to include quotations, not answers or modifications. Some users are fond of re-stating a quotation but changing the color of the applicable words. I don't like it, but at least that method is easy to see. Please remember that there are a wide variety of settings, devices, and cables in the industrial automation world, especially around the SLC-5/03 controller. The more specific and clear you can be in your posts, the better information you will get from the Forum community.