Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cameronjam

Trouble with speed between multiple NS screens

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm using CX- Designer v3.520 and CX- Programmer v9.43 for a project. We are using 4x CJ2 PLC's, 4x CPIL PLC's, and 3x NS8 HMI screens. All are communicating using EtherNet/IP on the same subnet. The Comms setting in the CX-Designer are Comm timeout - 10sec, Retry counts - 5, Comm auto return - ON, Intervalas of message-Comm - 200ms. The problem we are having is that the comms work fine, however it takes 20-30 secs for the HMI to respond onsite. Pinging the HMI's from the main PC where the router is located show us a that the communication between the PLC's are fine (i.e less than 5-10ms). Not all PLC's are currently online, or powered up. Some of the settings that have been changed that are concerning are the comm auto return, where originally it was off, and as expected those PLC's that weren't online, would give timeout warnings of no communication. Since changing the comm auto return to 'on', the comm timeout messages have disappeared, where some PLC's are still offline (so should be showing a timeout, or comm's error right?). If anyone has any experience with multiple NS screens, and PLC's with similar problems and how they fixed them, their input would be greatly appreciated. I can take screen shots of more settings, if necessary, other than that a call to OMRON and reading through the CX-Designer manuals are looking like the only solution. looking forward to sorting this out. Thanks Cam

Have you tried your system with just 1 NS terminal running??? If it is a communication load issue it seems that it should act differently with less terminals. If reducing the number of terminals makes a difference try increasing the message interval by a lot. If reducing the terminals doesn't help, try making up a test version of your program for the NS that only talks to one online PLC. Those comm timeouts may be causing the issue.

I believe I have sorted it. I changed some more settings, being : advanced settings in the system settings, and then setting the switch screen at high speed, and this seemed to get the screen pop ups working instantly. The only problem/concern now is the comm's error that are supposed to be showing up from different PLC's that are not online.

NS terminals were never any good handling offline hosts. Not sure how it is now, been a good year since I played with them at my old employer. In systems where we had to deal with non preferent trips due to generator load balancing, this was the no. 1 complaint.