Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve G

Leaky Wire

3 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone has used leaky wire communications on a Allen Bradley system. The system we are looking at using is using a Prosoft setup, two RLX2-IHNF-A units. I wanted to know how reliable is it and if there has been any issues with using leaky wire in a PLC system. Also, if there are any issues with the communications, how easy is it to troubleshoot.

Steve, I'm one of the wireless product managers at ProSoft. I didn't see a user response to your question, so I hope you don't mind me responding. The RLX2-IHNF is a new wireless product by ProSoft Technology. We have now completed PLC tests with it and Radiating Cable (also known as Leaky Feeder) and the performance is excellent within the constraints of Radiating Cable (cable installed correctly, antenna in close proximity). There are trade offs though using Radiating Cable versus traditional discrete antennas. One tradeoff is data rate. With 802.11n it is only possible to get one data stream with Radiating Cable, where with MIMO antennas two data streams are possible (which effectively doubles data rate). We have customers using Radiated Cable with our RLXIB-IHN and RLXIB-IHW radios going back the last couple years. The Radiating Cable projects have been primarily in Europe with material handling OEMs. These systems have been performing well, and we expect more applications with the release of the RLX2-IHNF (with fast roaming) and as we promote this solution globally. Our main focus is automation projects, so our Industrial Hotspots include several troubleshooting tools designed for engineers including a built-in web server with diagnostic info, the IH Browser software utility which monitors in real time the wireless network and SNMP support for traditional IT management. Jim

Hi Jim We don't mind you responding at all, in fact we appreciate the good information.